Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

Post by Andrew Nor » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

I have the above combination of hardware and I cannot get the Redhat
4.1 installation software to detect the cd-rom.  Can anyone tell
how/if it can be done

Regards

Andy

Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

Post by Christopher Ort » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi Andy,

        I blieve I have a similar setup (cdu31a attached to a MAD16 card).  I
recently had success with the RedHat4.1 CD as follows:

1: Insert the RedHat CD

2: Boot to DOS.  I did this with a boot disk containing the drivers for
my sound card and cdrom.

3: CD D:\dosutils (or wherever your cd is)

4: In this subdirectory is a bat file called "autoload" or something
like that (I can't remember the exact name)  This is the linload
alternative to LILO.  run it.  (I am not sure if you can do this from
win3.1 or win95, which is why I suggested DOS above)

5: When prompted, tell RedHat that the CDROM is a cdu31a (under
"other").  Don't believe the documentation on what parameters to send to
the driver.  I sent the following:

        cdu31a_port=0x340 cdu31a_irq=0

   Redhat wanted me send "cdu31a=0x340,0" which is okay as a LILO boot
parameter but not ok to send to the module.

        This should work!

When you get RedHat installed read up on the isp16 driver in the
documentation for the linux kernel.  To access a cdrom I first load the
isp16 module which knows how to set up the cdrom interface.  Then I load
the cdu31a module on top of this.

        Chris Orth

1. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

Hi, there,

I am trying to make my Sony cdu33a cd-rom driver work under Linux.
The cd-rom driver is attached to soundblaster 16 soundcard and works
fine under dos/windows with 2 ide hard drive.
I use kernel 1.2.9 and configure kernel with cdu31a driver and iso9660
filesystem support and have symbolic link /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdu31a.
I have run the MAKEDEV.ide1 shell script file and put kernel command
hdc=cdrom
append = "cdu31a=0x230,0," (also tried "append=cdu31a=0x230,0,")
in lilo.conf file.
(I have tried also boot to DOS then insert bootdisk to boot to Linux)
The cdrom driver still can't be detected at the boot time.
The cdu31a device driver exists with right major and minor number,
and doing cat /proc/filesystems indicate the presence of iso9660
filesystem. However doing cat /proc/devices does not show the presence
of cdu31a cdrom device driver.

Please help !!!
Any help, solutions or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Youcheng Zhang
Dept. Oceanography, TAMU

2. C::STUDENT NEEDS HELP

3. Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

4. How to eliminate entire lines with sed

5. HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

6. what are you using FreeBSD for?

7. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a

8. Q: Routing with 2 NICs

9. recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

10. Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

11. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

12. Sony CD-ROM Drive (cdu33a)