BusLogic BT-948 SCSI card and 3C590 Etherlink III card

BusLogic BT-948 SCSI card and 3C590 Etherlink III card

Post by jim simmon » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have installed Linux kernel 2.0.0 with Slackware 3.1 on a Gateway
 PPro 200. I have a BusLogic BT-948 card and a 3C590 Ethernet card.
 Drivers for both are configured into my Linux kernel. Upon booting,
  The SCSI card is recognized, and the Ethernet card is detected.
 However, ifconfig does not recognize the ethernet connection.

 If I disconnect the BT-948 card, ifconfig recognizes the Ethernet card.

 The IRQ for the BusLogic and the 3C590 cards = 10. These values are
 set at the factory and cannot be modified with the respective setup
 programs.

 Is this IRQ conflict the source of my problems ? Is there a workaround
 available ?

                    Thanks

                    Jim Simmons

BusLogic BT-948 SCSI card and 3C590 Etherlink III card

Post by Tom Johns » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

If you have two devices using the same irq, then yes, this is your problem.

The work around, download the 3c590 utility disk image from www.3com.com
and create a utility diskette for your network card.  One should have
came with it, but it's on the web.  Boot to dos, a dos boot disk will
be fine, no need to create a dos partition on your harddisk.  Insert
the utility disk and run the 3c590cfg.exe program.  During that process
it will allow you to turn off PnP and manually set an irq & i/o address.

Do so manually, not choosing irq10 that is being used by the buslogic card.
Reboot system, linux should autodetect the new irq/port for the 3com card.

Problem solved.

:

--
___________________            ___   __            __________________________
Tom Johnson                   |   \ |  |           Netscape 3.0 for X11

IT LAN Support                |  |\    |           TSS
-------------------           |__| \___|           --------------------------

Post by Jesper Dybd » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> The IRQ for the BusLogic and the 3C590 cards = 10. These values are
> set at the factory and cannot be modified with the respective setup
> programs.

Running the risk of saying something stupid, since I know no details
whatever about the Gateway machine or the network card and have no
personal experience with the BT-948, here is my guess at what your
problem is:

The BT-948 is a PCI card (unless I've misunderstood something).  This
means that its IRQ should be configured at system start-up by the
system BIOS through the PCI bus.

I assume the 3c590 is an ISA card, and I suspect that you need to use
your system BIOS setup to inform the BIOS that IRQ 10 is in use by an
ISA card; the BIOS will then assign a different IRQ to the BT-948.
--

Post by Derek Tattersal » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > The IRQ for the BusLogic and the 3C590 cards = 10. These values are
> > set at the factory and cannot be modified with the respective setup
> > programs.

> Running the risk of saying something stupid, since I know no details
> whatever about the Gateway machine or the network card and have no
> personal experience with the BT-948, here is my guess at what your
> problem is:

> The BT-948 is a PCI card (unless I've misunderstood something).  This
> means that its IRQ should be configured at system start-up by the
> system BIOS through the PCI bus.

> I assume the 3c590 is an ISA card, and I suspect that you need to use
> your system BIOS setup to inform the BIOS that IRQ 10 is in use by an
> ISA card; the BIOS will then assign a different IRQ to the BT-948.
> --

My 3c590 is a PCI card. I set the irq to 11 using the DOS setup
utility too.

It works better you see, when it goes to 11.

--
Derek Tattersall

Post by Rich Neitz » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

writes:

|> The work around, download the 3c590 utility disk image from www.3com.com

Having just gone through this process, things are much simpler. Remove
the 3c590 card and reboot, passing 'linux single' to the LILO
prompt. Halt the system & reinsert the 3c590. When you reboot they
will have different PCI interrupts. If they don't, read the section in
the Buslogic manual about non-conforming motherboards & * to Gateway.

|> Do so manually, not choosing irq10 that is being used by the buslogic card.
|> Reboot system, linux should autodetect the new irq/port for the 3com card.

You can't set the IRQ for the 3c590 - you must be thinking of the 3c509.

--

National Center For Atmospheric Research        lokkar borni under sole-vegg
Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307-3000                 Gj?'i med sitt shinn

1. SCSI-BusLogic BT-948 + PCI + Diamond = ???????

Recently I bought a Micron Millenia PC 133MHz (Triton, M54HI)
with a PCI.32BIT EIDE controller on the mother board and
a BusLogic BT-930 (FlashPoint) SCSI-Adapter. The video card is
a Diamond Stealth 64 (2121XL) Video2001, 2MB DRAM(765).

After upgrading to the BT-948, Linux seemed to be working,
but X-Windows lock up very often which leads to a 'nice'
system crash (and sometimes to severe data loss).
I tried already a lot of different kernels (up to 1.3.75), but
the problems remains. As well I am using Buslogic newest Firmware
5.05R for the BT-948.

Does anyone has any suggestions what might help or does anyone
has good experience with a similar configuration and Linux with
working X-Windows????

Thank's a lot for any useful comments,

Chris

2. New afio release

3. AHA-1542B and Buslogic BT-948

4. Kernel Panic: Can't mount root - after building new kernel

5. ANNOUNCEMENT: BusLogic FlashPoint/BT-948 Upgrade Program

6. Win 95 X client?

7. BusLogic BT-948 disappeared after firmware update??

8. App accessing port: RedHat

9. BusLogic BT-948 HELP !!!!

10. BusLogic (Got the BT-948 but no go)

11. BusLogic MultiMaster BT-948 (RedHat 4.1)

12. Buslogic 948 scsi card

13. SOLUTION: SCSI BT-948 + Diamond + Linux