AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Matt Bro » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

"17.885 is the answer because it just logically makes sense that this
 is the only possible answer."

- Greg Yackley when presented with a Chi Square analysis problem
  durin a Math 330 lecture.

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Kar » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
>a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.

Karl

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Marco Roberto Land » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
> >a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

> I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.

> Karl

I also have a AMD DX4/120 and I have only one problem:
under Linux, when I use the reboot command, the system don't finish the
reboot (I must press the reset button!), the system simply "hangs"
after the sign "...Done".

But this is the only problem!

Bye,
        Marco.
 -

                     (Marco Roberto Landi)
               ***** Force Field is nice! *****

Visit our WWW: http://MusArt.dist.unige.it

PGP fingerprint =  F1 52 8B 0F 34 0B 1E 71  9C 51 C8 EA D6 B8 37 86
Public key available.

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by H Brett Bol » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
>>a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

>I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.

>Karl

I just installed the 120 at work, it works great.  A minor problem
it reports 3.76 bogomips, but it's fast.

It compiles 1.2.13 in 13 minutes!!.

b\253

--
b\253              | Take Chances

brett bolen        | Get Messy
Walrus Consulting  |    - Ms Frizzle - MSB

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Ben E » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
>>>a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

>>I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.

>I just installed the 120 at work, it works great.  A minor problem
>it reports 3.76 bogomips, but it's fast.

>It compiles 1.2.13 in 13 minutes!!.

I run kernel 1.3.45 on an AMD DX4/100 and 32MB of RAM and I get nearly
50 bogomips on boot-up.  However, it takes me around 70 minutes to
compile the kernel.  I think there must be something slowing down my
system.

Ben
--

UofT EngSci 9T2            ``We are all *s here.''
Home: (416)-932-9715

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Maximmi » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.

>>I just installed the 120 at work, it works great.  A minor problem
>>it reports 3.76 bogomips, but it's fast.

>>It compiles 1.2.13 in 13 minutes!!.
>I run kernel 1.3.45 on an AMD DX4/100 and 32MB of RAM and I get nearly
>50 bogomips on boot-up.  However, it takes me around 70 minutes to
>compile the kernel.  I think there must be something slowing down my
>system.

I am running kernel 1.1.59 on an AMD DX4/100 with 8 M Ram and 10 Meg
swapfile
using UMSDOS for boot partition and have had only problem is that if I
leave internal cache enabled in my CMOS setup, I get 'crc error --- system
halted' when uncompressing kernel, whether booting from floppy or hard
drive.
Have not tried another mother board or CPU, yet but did notice that
enabling/disabling external cache makes no difference and setting write
back/write through makes no difference. Does give about 59.somthing
BogoMips .
Have not tried or timed recompiling kernel. Wouldn't time to recompile
depend more on what is being compiled in? eg net, cd-rom ,  scsi etc...

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Robert W. Cashma » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I also have a AMD DX4/120 and I have only one problem:
> under Linux, when I use the reboot command, the system don't finish the
> reboot (I must press the reset button!), the system simply "hangs"
> after the sign "...Done".

> But this is the only problem!

> Bye,

  I had that problem with my DX4/120 system also.  While changing boards
on my system, I had erased my CMOS settings.  I ended up not switching
boards, so the system has the same hardware, but I must have set one of
the BIOS settings differently because the system reboots fine now!
Before, even when I booted DOS, the system would hang after a
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and now it is fine.

Bob.

--
--Robert W. Cashman
  MIT Lincoln Laboratory

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Mark Hutchis » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>withing

>>>I just installed the 120 at work, it works great.  A minor problem
>>>it reports 3.76 bogomips, but it's fast.

>>>It compiles 1.2.13 in 13 minutes!!.
>>I run kernel 1.3.45 on an AMD DX4/100 and 32MB of RAM and I get nearly
>>50 bogomips on boot-up.  However, it takes me around 70 minutes to
>>compile the kernel.  I think there must be something slowing down my
>>system.
>I am running kernel 1.1.59 on an AMD DX4/100 with 8 M Ram and 10 Meg
>swapfile
>using UMSDOS for boot partition and have had only problem is that if I
>leave internal cache enabled in my CMOS setup, I get 'crc error --- system
>halted' when uncompressing kernel, whether booting from floppy or hard
>drive.
>Have not tried another mother board or CPU, yet but did notice that
>enabling/disabling external cache makes no difference and setting write
>back/write through makes no difference. Does give about 59.somthing
>BogoMips .
>Have not tried or timed recompiling kernel. Wouldn't time to recompile
>depend more on what is being compiled in? eg net, cd-rom ,  scsi etc...

I have the same problem when I have the cashe burst read to 1T, if I
change it to 2T the kernel uncompresses fine.
ps. I have a amd120e in an asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 mb with 256k of 15Ns cashe
8Mb 70Ns dram running kernel 1.2.8.
Mark Hutchison.

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by root » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I noticed the same problem with my DX4-120 only when uncompressing LInux from a
floppy. It won't do it unless  I disable the internal cache..It works from lilo
or loadlin..so it's related to the floppy on my system..

I am interested in what causes the problem??

fb

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by fbroc » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Sorry about the above message from "root"..Somehow I lost the mail settings in
netscape. I am the one with the uncompression problem if I enable the internal
cache on my DX120

Fred

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Phil Hugh » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
: a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks

My understanding is that Linux is part of the test suite for the AMD
chips.  I have never had a problem with an AMD chip and Linux.  Our web
server (http://www.ssc.com) is on an AMD 486DX4/100.  It is very happy at
35,000 hits/day.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)PUBS-REF

Quote:>>> Publishers of pocket references for UNIX, C, ..., Linux Journal <<<

SSC/Linux Journal web site: http://www.ssc.com/

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Olof Svensso » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hey out there.

Is there anybody that can tell me what kind of UPS it's wise to by.

(Not to expencive and not a to shity quality)

The second problem is that all  my serial and parrallell ports are busy.
So can I connect another serial card in to my computer.

Thanks in adwance Olof S

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Paul Christenso » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there anybody that can tell me what kind of UPS it's wise to by.

I'm happy with my APC Back-UPS 600...  about $300.

You don't need to connect the monitoring stuff...  I have the ports
available to do it, and I haven't bothered...

AMD chip with Linux?

Post by Marko Ovas » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >>
: >>>I have an AMD-100mhz DX4 running DOS. I'm planning on gettin Linux withing
: >>>a few weeks. Will it run OK with this chip. Thanks
: >>>
: >>I run Linux on a AMD DX4/120 with no problems.
: >
: >I just installed the 120 at work, it works great.  A minor problem
: >it reports 3.76 bogomips, but it's fast.
: >
: >It compiles 1.2.13 in 13 minutes!!.

: I run kernel 1.3.45 on an AMD DX4/100 and 32MB of RAM and I get nearly
: 50 bogomips on boot-up.  However, it takes me around 70 minutes to
: compile the kernel.  I think there must be something slowing down my
: system.

Well, even thou this thread is almost month old, I just got a 120 MHz
AMD: 59.90 bogomips with kernels 1.3.20, 36, 40, 42 and 48. 1.3.48 took
18 minutes to compile as ELF with 6 file systems, tcp/ip and sound
drivers. A.out was considereably faster, some 11 minutes with 1.3.20.

Compiling seems to be very io-dependend, I have a integrated
EIDE controller in PCI-bus and quite fast Seagate. Certainly a big
improvment to 93 minutes with 386dx33!

        Marko
--

        no .sig