Changed cable to 80 conductor - now lilo won't work!

Changed cable to 80 conductor - now lilo won't work!

Post by Calori » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:37:17

Greets all.  I've got a real stumper for any lilo gurus out there..

After noticing the pitiful disk performance I was getting on my
WDC WD400BB-00CLB0, I realized the BIOS on my Epox 8KHA+ was griping
about cables after it initialized the drives.  So I cracked open the
box and sure enough, I had used a regular IDE cable instead of the
special 80 conductor jobbie.  DOH!!  So, I swapped out with the 80
cable,
and shifted another (regular IDE) drive off to the other ide bus and
rebooted with baited breath.. and nothing happened!  Seems the BIOS
doesn't even recognize there's a bootable system on /dev/hda now (yes,
the disk is marked bootable), and it starts looking for something
bootable in the floppy and CD drives.

Fortunately I was able to boot off a floppy, and the system was up and
running fine with /dev/hda(2) as root.  I figured all I needed to do
was invoke lilo again, so I did and tried again.. still no boot love
from /dev/hda!

So, any words of wisdom to someone who was goofy enough to install
their system (Debian testing) in the first place with a regular IDE
cable, then switched to the 80-conductor?  I have a sinking feeling
that in order to let the system see that /dev/hda can be booted a
fdisk/reformat may be required (say it ain't so!).

Only good news is that with the new cable I also noticed I needed to
compile in the vt8233 chipset to get the drive performance up..
recomplied (onto a floppy) and now I'm getting the kind of speed I
need.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here's some general info:
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 89
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:11.1. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:11.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: WDC WD400BB-00CLB0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: WDC WD136AA, ATA DISK drive
hdd: CDU5211, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 78165360 sectors (40021 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=4865/255/63,
UDMA(100)
hdc: 26564832 sectors (13601 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=26354/16/63,
UDMA(66)
hdd: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
 hdc: [PTBL] [1653/255/63] hdc1

Changed cable to 80 conductor - now lilo won't work!

Post by Jeroen Geilma » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:29:45

Somewhere around Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:37:17 +0200, Calorics was seen
engraving on a handy slab of granite:

Quote:> Greets all.  I've got a real stumper for any lilo gurus out there..

> After noticing the pitiful disk performance I was getting on my WDC
> WD400BB-00CLB0, I realized the BIOS on my Epox 8KHA+ was griping about
> cables after it initialized the drives.  So I cracked open the box and
> sure enough, I had used a regular IDE cable instead of the special 80
> conductor jobbie.  DOH!!  So, I swapped out with the 80 cable, and
> shifted another (regular IDE) drive off to the other ide bus and
> rebooted with baited breath.. and nothing happened!  Seems the BIOS
> doesn't even recognize there's a bootable system on /dev/hda now (yes,
> the disk is marked bootable), and it starts looking for something
> bootable in the floppy and CD drives.

> Fortunately I was able to boot off a floppy, and the system was up and
> running fine with /dev/hda(2) as root.  I figured all I needed to do was
> invoke lilo again, so I did and tried again.. still no boot love from
> /dev/hda!

> So, any words of wisdom to someone who was goofy enough to install their
> system (Debian testing) in the first place with a regular IDE cable,
> then switched to the 80-conductor?  I have a sinking feeling that in
> order to let the system see that /dev/hda can be booted a fdisk/reformat
> may be required (say it ain't so!).

It ain't so.
The ability to boot from a drive is just one bit on the boot sector, you
know...

Run (c)fdisk and re-enable the boot bit.

Quote:> Only good news is that with the new cable I also noticed I needed to
> compile in the vt8233 chipset to get the drive performance up..
> recomplied (onto a floppy) and now I'm getting the kind of speed I need.

So you've got your answer, right ?
Re-compile the kernel with that via chipset and replace the kernel on the
hard drive.

But I don't think it's a Linux problem at all - unless...

Two options :

1. You need to reset the BIOS - load default params, re-read the drive
info, something like that - so simple, and it could solve all of your
problems !

OR

2. *somehow* (don't ask me, I just live here) the new cable convinced the
BIOS that the drive was in another mode, either used to be CHS, now
linear, or use to be linear and seems now to be CHS mode...

If you cannot change this in your BIOS (on a per-drive basis) then you're
screwed...

Quote:> Thanks in advance for any help!

> Here's some general info:
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31 ide: Assuming 33MHz
> system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx VP_IDE: IDE
> controller on PCI bus 00 dev 89 PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of
> device 00:11.1. Please try using pci=biosirq.

So.. did you try this ?

NOTE no IRQ known means your BIOS is using * (Windows) PnP ...

Disable PnP if at all possible.

Quote:> VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later ide: Assuming 33MHz
> system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx VP_IDE: VIA
> vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:11.1
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio ide1:
>     BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: WDC WD400BB-00CLB0, ATA DISK drive hdc: WDC WD136AA, ATA DISK drive
> hdd: CDU5211, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: 78165360 sectors (40021 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=4865/255/63,
> UDMA(100)

This one's translated.

Quote:> hdc: 26564832 sectors (13601 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=26354/16/63,
> UDMA(66)

And this one's not! Looks like no. 2 was correct - you need to change the
linear/CHS setting for the first drive...

Quote:> hdd: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache, UDMA(33) Uniform CD-ROM driver

--
Confusion is my middle finger.

1. lilo L 80 80 80 80.....

I have bios that allows to specify what order the boot must be attempted in.
I have run lilo to install boot sectors on both /dev/hda AND /dev/sda
(I have a scsi and an ide disk in my box)

Whenever the boot order is ide then scsi the kernel boots

Whenever scsi is before ide in boot sequenece I get L 80 80
which 80 printed across the screen indefinitely.

What does this message mean?

2. How to move RedHat 7.3 back to 7.2 in my laptop?

3. LILO & SCSI - L 80 80 80?

4. PPP-Linux-HOWTO

5. Lilo gives me an "L 80 80 80"

6. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

7. LILO "L 80 80 ... 80" Message

8. Interprocess Communication on Red Hat Linux 7.2

9. Telnet to port 80 won't work

10. kernel: 80 80 80 80

11. Lilo won't load os/2, os/2 won't load lilo

12. NCSA HTTPD won't bind to port 80.

13. Apache won't listen to ports other than 80