Linux on IBM Thinkpad notebook?

Post by Evrard » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 23:55:40

Hi :)

I'm considering buying an IBM Thinkpad notebook to run Linux on.

I have some unix experience, but I've never touched Linux until now.

Are there things I should be aware of when choosing a notebook? Can
I expect problems with harddisk-controller of video support on an IBM
Thinkpad?

Anybody tried this before?

Pres.

Post by James Fide » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 18:46:44

> I'm considering buying an IBM Thinkpad notebook to run Linux on.

> I have some unix experience, but I've never touched Linux until now.

> Are there things I should be aware of when choosing a notebook? Can
> I expect problems with harddisk-controller of video support on an IBM
> Thinkpad?

> Anybody tried this before?

I have Linux running on a TP755C with 20Mb RAM and 540Mb disk.  Works fine
for me.

James.
--

  it may not pass your way again"    |  http://www.mfltd.co.uk/~jfid/

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell

Post by rodrigo vaneg » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 15:42:28

   I'm considering buying an IBM Thinkpad notebook to run Linux on.

   I have some unix experience, but I've never touched Linux until now.

   Are there things I should be aware of when choosing a notebook? Can
   I expect problems with harddisk-controller of video support on an IBM
   Thinkpad?

   Anybody tried this before?

   Pres.

I run Linux 1.1.49 with XFree86 1.3 (X11R6) on a ThinkPad 500
and the PCMCIA drivers for my 1440 fax/modem work fine.  Mail me for
details...

--
rodrigo vanegas

Linux on IBM Thinkpad notebook?

Post by Ambrose » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 12:24:54

Quote:>Are there things I should be aware of when choosing a notebook? Can
>I expect problems with harddisk-controller of video support on an IBM
>Thinkpad?

I'm running Linux on a 750C (right now). There is some information
about the Thinkpad on http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/html/linux-thinkpad.html.
Most necessary Thinkpad-specific mods are documented there. However, I
have trouble using umsdos with a 1.1.64 kernel (it hangs the machine to
the point that I have to disconnect the power cord and let the battery
run dry so the machine can power itself off), but otherwise it runs fine.

--
Ambrose Li                                            NOTE: I have nothing to

1. Installing Mandrake 8.0 onto IBM ThinkPad T21 Notebook

Hello

I have problems installing Mandrake 8.0 on a IBM ThinkPad T21 Notebook. The
internal TrackPoint as well as the external PS/2 mouse aren't being
recognized. Is there a driver available so that i can install linux
keyboard-based and update it afterwards with the driver?

An additional problem: as soon as i get the device-list from the available
'com'-ports in the modem setup dialog, the system hangs completely. Has
anybody an idea why?

Thanks for your help
Jo Hiltbrunner

--

2. X.25 support

3. IBM Thinkpad 570 Notebook

4. CL-5428 "No Valid Modes" Error

5. IBM SCSI/IBM ThinkPad install problem in Slackware 2.2

6. Frontpage extensions on SGI

7. 5.1 on IBM Thinkpad 560 and IBM CDROM

8. PROBLEM: Trying to install XFree4.0.6

9. Linux on a IBM ThinkPad 560

10. Linux on IBM Thinkpad 310ED

11. Linux on IBM Thinkpad 760EL???

12. IBM Thinkpad 365X, will it run Linux?

13. IBM R32 thinkpad heats up when running linux