Added SCSI Zip: now can't boot

Post by Tom Johnston » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I've got two PCI SCSI controllers installed in my computer: an Advansys
and an Adaptec. My hard disks are on the Adaptec. All was working well
until I installed an internal Zip on the Advansys. Now when I boot up,
the Advansys module loads before the Adaptec and thus the Zip is
allocated to sda. Then the Adaptec loads, assigning the two hard disks
to sdb and sdc. Problem is, the system looks for all the file systems on
sda and sdb (what the hard disks were prior to Zip installation) and
can't find them. Boot stops with a Kernal Panic.

Short of a Kernel recompile (which I've never done before - I'm a Linux
newbie), is there anything that I could do? Is there any way to make the
Advansys module load **after** the Adaptec (I think the modules were
compiled into the Kernel during Installation - it's a RedHat 5 system)?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Added SCSI Zip: now can't boot

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

  Tom> I've got two PCI SCSI controllers installed in my computer: an
  Tom> Advansys and an Adaptec. My hard disks are on the Adaptec. All
  Tom> was working well until I installed an internal Zip on the
  Tom> Advansys. Now when I boot up, the Advansys module loads before
  Tom> the Adaptec and thus the Zip is allocated to sda. Then the
  Tom> Adaptec loads, assigning the two hard disks to sdb and
  Tom> sdc. Problem is, the system looks for all the file systems on
  Tom> sda and sdb (what the hard disks were prior to Zip
  Tom> installation) and can't find them. Boot stops with a Kernal
  Tom> Panic.

  Tom> Short of a Kernel recompile (which I've never done before - I'm
  Tom> a Linux newbie), is there anything that I could do? Is there
  Tom> any way to make the Advansys module load **after** the Adaptec
  Tom> (I think the modules were compiled into the Kernel during
  Tom> Installation - it's a RedHat 5 system)?  Any other suggestions?

You should be able to say

linux single root=/dev/sdbX

at the boot: prompt.  Instead of X, put the correct partition number
for the root filesystem (1 is a good guess unless you have Win95, in
which case try 2).

This will get the system to boot.  Then you'll need to fix /etc/fstab
to point at /dev/sdb* instead of /dev/sda*.  Make a backup file first.

Oh, and if you find any other way to affect how /dev/sd* is allocated
to various scsi adapters, let me know, because I'd like to find out!

Added SCSI Zip: now can't boot

Post by Slava Pesto » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I've got two PCI SCSI controllers installed in my computer: an Advansys
> and an Adaptec. My hard disks are on the Adaptec. All was working well
> until I installed an internal Zip on the Advansys. Now when I boot up,
> the Advansys module loads before the Adaptec and thus the Zip is
> allocated to sda. Then the Adaptec loads, assigning the two hard disks
> to sdb and sdc. Problem is, the system looks for all the file systems on
> sda and sdb (what the hard disks were prior to Zip installation) and
> can't find them. Boot stops with a Kernal Panic.

> Short of a Kernel recompile (which I've never done before - I'm a Linux
> newbie), is there anything that I could do? Is there any way to make the
> Advansys module load **after** the Adaptec (I think the modules were
> compiled into the Kernel during Installation - it's a RedHat 5 system)?
> Any other suggestions?

> Thanks in advance,
> Tom

  A kernel recompile isn't neccessary. Type this at the lilo boot prompt:
<your linux image name, eg linux> root=/dev/sdb1 emergency

If your root partion is on another partition of sdb, change it accordingly.

The emergency keyword will make init go straight to a shell, where you
can straighten out your fstab. Note that in emergency mode, the root
partion might get mounted read-only - this depends on your setup. To
remount it read-write, use this command:
mount /dev/<root partition> / -t <root partition type> -o rw,remount

Slava

1. Adding a scsi zip disk reorders my boot sequence

I recently bought a scsi zip disk. The problem is that when I plug it
in, the scsi bus finds it earlier than my scsi harddisk and so calls
the zip disk /dev/sda and harddisk /dev/sdb.

Without the zip disk lilo boots from /dev/sda which is usually my
harddisk.

The scsi disk can be set to 5 or 6 but neither setting changes this
problems. The scsi controller is an adaptect 7xxx, built into a dual
P2 motherboard. The harddisk is ultrawide and so on a seperate scsi
cable. I suspect this is the problem, but don't know how to fix it.

I guess I could use a boot disk, or just pass lilo some command line
like root=/dev/sdb, but I'd rather make it easier so that others can
easily use the machine too.
--
Binary Bar - Australia's first free access internet bar/cafe/gallery.
243 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. 3pm - 1am

2. Pcap and packets

3. SCSI Zip (DB25 to 68pin 'SCSI-3')

4. Real Player on Redhat 5.1

5. Asus P2BF + SC200 won't boot from SCSI ZIP 100

6. XF86Config for Trident TGUI9440

7. Sony GDM 1604 Fixed Freq. problems

8. pc doesn't boot without a Zip disk in the Zip Drive

9. SCSI Zip drive w/ Zip zoom scsi adapter problems...

10. Added SCSI and Linux won't boot!

11. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

12. It's not bad canned meat...