Linux System Backup: tape file system ?

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>There's something in my RH dist called "taper" which looks like it
>might work fairly well. It's probably available online somewhere.
[...]
>>Hi,  I wonder if there is a free tape file system there somewhere. I want to
>>backup and archive my files using the tape, but using commands like mt tar is
>>so inconvient and I hate it.  I remember that long time ago some guys put a
>>file system and can read and write like a regular hard drive , though much
>>slower. it was in a super computer. I wonder if this technology has developed
>>so that an average user like me can also use it. where can I find the
>>software and how to install it.  Thanks!

Using a FS on a tape is not that new. It is mainly used to create a bootable
FS though (Unix workstations) since you can, for instance, not just delete
a file on a tape like on a harddisk, so as a backup solution ... no.

I wrote something that finally calls cpio; cannot tell what taper uses but
personally I would stay away from anything that is not readable by tar or
cpio. In case of an catastrophe you might have some problem else since the
backup programme will be gone too of course.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I wrote something that finally calls cpio; cannot tell what taper uses but
> personally I would stay away from anything that is not readable by tar or
> cpio. In case of an catastrophe you might have some problem else since the
> backup programme will be gone too of course.

Although taper is not (AFAIK) tar or cpio compatible it is
small enough to fit on a boot/root diskette set.

--

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. How do I fix a corrupt partition sector?

3. System backup with veritas file system

4. Help - want to add users and passwds not as root.

5. Backup Solaris file system to AIX tape drive

6. libPropList

7. Backup multiple file systems in one tape

8. Linux = commoditization

9. How to backup unix advanced file system to tape's save set?

10. Is it possible to backup Unix file systems to a remote tape drive?

11. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

12. How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

13. using Trakker tape backup system under linux