GVC internal PCI modem

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Oehlk » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00



hey all,
I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
linux redhat 6.

the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

should setserial work ok?

detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
appreciated.

AO

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Rob Cla » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00




>hey all,
>I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
>linux redhat 6.

>the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
>somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
one...

Quote:>should setserial work ok?

See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

Quote:>detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
>appreciated.


http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Oehlk » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00


I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.
when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
as I'm sure you all know...

so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

AO




> >hey all,
> >I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
> >linux redhat 6.

> >the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
> >somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

> Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
> one...

> >should setserial work ok?

> See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

> >detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
> >appreciated.


> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Allen Cride » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00



> I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.

All of GVC's PCI modems are winmodems. They either use the Rockwell
RC56HCF or the Lucent DSP 1646 chipset.

Quote:> when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
> as I'm sure you all know...

> so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

Nobody is aggrevating the situation at all. What model GVC modem did you
say you have?

> AO




> > >hey all,
> > >I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
> > >linux redhat 6.

> > >the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
> > >somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

> > Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
> > one...

> > >should setserial work ok?

> > See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

> > >detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
> > >appreciated.


> > http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00





>> I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.

>All of GVC's PCI modems are winmodems. They either use the Rockwell
>RC56HCF or the Lucent DSP 1646 chipset.

Not true. GVC's Canadian site (http://www.gvc.ca/products/) lists
three types of 56K PCI modems available from GVC:
1) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex with Controller modem
   (onboard MCU, DPU and DAA) which can be installed in
   WinNT, Win98, Win95, *and* Win3.1
2) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex Controller-less modem
   (onboard DPU and DAA; no MCU) which can be installed in
   WinNT, Win98, and Win95, and
3) A PCI Internal V.90 Only Software modem (onboard DAA;
   DPU in software) which can be installed in Win98, and Win95

>> when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
>> as I'm sure you all know...

>> so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

>Nobody is aggrevating the situation at all. What model GVC modem did you
>say you have?

>> AO




>> > >hey all,
>> > >I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
>> > >linux redhat 6.

>> > >the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
>> > >somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

>> > Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
>> > one...

>> > >should setserial work ok?

>> > See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

>> > >detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
>> > >appreciated.


>> > http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

(Opinions expressed are my own, not my employers')

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Rob Cla » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00




>> >should setserial work ok?

>> See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

This site has setserial instructions for the Lucent Venus-based PCI
modems that are known to work with Linux.

I still wouldn't mind hearing which GVC modem you have, in case anyone
else asks.


http://ww.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

 
 
 

GVC internal PCI modem

Post by Eric Fierk » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Not to aggrivate the situation further, but there are a LOT of winmodems
out there that will work in windows 3.1.  The real test is wether or not
it works in DOS without loading a driver.  If it does, then it's not a
winmodem.

Eric




> >> I am so sure because I know what a winmodem is... and this one isnt.

> >All of GVC's PCI modems are winmodems. They either use the Rockwell
> >RC56HCF or the Lucent DSP 1646 chipset.

> Not true. GVC's Canadian site (http://www.gvc.ca/products/) lists
> three types of 56K PCI modems available from GVC:
> 1) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex with Controller modem
>    (onboard MCU, DPU and DAA) which can be installed in
>    WinNT, Win98, Win95, *and* Win3.1
> 2) A PCI Internal V.90 w/Kflex Controller-less modem
>    (onboard DPU and DAA; no MCU) which can be installed in
>    WinNT, Win98, and Win95, and
> 3) A PCI Internal V.90 Only Software modem (onboard DAA;
>    DPU in software) which can be installed in Win98, and Win95

> >> when you use a winmodem you basicaly let the software control the card...
> >> as I'm sure you all know...

> >> so can anyone reply to this? if not please dont aggravate the situation.

> >Nobody is aggrevating the situation at all. What model GVC modem did you
> >say you have?

> >> AO




> >> > >hey all,
> >> > >I have an internal GVC 56k pci modem and I am trying to set it up for
> >> > >linux redhat 6.

> >> > >the compnay has no drivers but I am thinking I can fudge this thing
> >> > >somehow to get it to work.  I am 100% sure it isnt a winmodem.

> >> > Why are you so sure?  I'm curious because I haven't heard about this
> >> > one...

> >> > >should setserial work ok?

> >> > See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

> >> > >detailed instructions on something to try here would be greatly
> >> > >appreciated.


> >> > http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

> Lew Pitcher
> System Consultant, Development Services
> Toronto Dominion Bank

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employers')