Which book?

Post by Craig Rasban » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Well, the 24hours book is going to be just the basics, and little
> more.  I've personally used Que's book, and have been quite pleased
> with it.  Haven't looked at Sam's RH, although others have said good
> things about it.  So, i'd pick between Que and Sam's RH.

    I agree. Until recently, I worked in a computer store, where
we had all these books.  Being somewhat of a newbie myself, I was
always trying to find the best book for me, and so I have about
six books on Linux.  I have the Sams' 24 hours book, and I
haven't found it very useful, as it just seems to tell how things
are done, but not really how to DO it.  The Red Hat book might be
good, but I don't have it.  I think the best one I have is
probably the QUE Using Linux, and I recommended it to some of my
customers, too.  The one I have is not the Special Edition; I
think the Special Edition has more stuff in it.  The Using Linux
book seems to be one of the only ones that doesn't assume that
you know something. I like a book that treats me as if I know
absolutely nothing.

     Imagine a person who has Never Seen an automobile.  He asks
"How do you change the direction of the vehicle?"  He's told "You
turn the wheels to the left or to the right."  He asks "How can
you turn the wheels while you're sitting inside the car?"  He's
told "You use the steering wheel."  He asks "Where is that?" He's
told "It's right in front of the driver's seat."  He says "Uh
huh. Umm, which seat is the driver's seat?"  That's me, when it
comes to Linux. How do I tell the steering wheel from the braking
wheel?

Craig Rasband

Which book?

Post by Mothra36 » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have the Mandrake 6.0 version of Linux.  One of the included CD's has .pdf
versions of three books.  Each of these books is hundreds of pages long.  I
would prefer to print only one of these....any opinions as to which one
would offer the better value?  I am completely new to Linux, so a book which
starts at the basics is required.  I would also like this book to be able to
offer more Linux info as I grow more proficient with it.  Here are my 3
choices:

SAM's Red Hat Linux Unleashed
QUE's Special Edition: Using Linux
SAM's Teach yourself Linux in 24 Hours

Thanks to all who respond, it is appreciated!

Stacey

Which book?

Post by Warren B. Hap » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: I have the Mandrake 6.0 version of Linux.  One of the included CD's has .pdf
: versions of three books.  Each of these books is hundreds of pages long.  I
: would prefer to print only one of these....any opinions as to which one
: would offer the better value?  I am completely new to Linux, so a book which
: starts at the basics is required.  I would also like this book to be able to
: offer more Linux info as I grow more proficient with it.  Here are my 3
: choices:

First of all, you might want to think about the cost per page of
printing these on you own system.  If you use an ink jet printer, the
cost per page could be higher than the cost of a bound book in the book
store.

: SAM's Red Hat Linux Unleashed
: QUE's Special Edition: Using Linux
: SAM's Teach yourself Linux in 24 Hours

The only one of these I'm familiar with is SAM's Teach Yourself Linux
in 24 Hours, which I got as a birthday present about a year ago.  It's
OK, but it doesn't go beyond the most basic level for most things.
It will help you get started, but you could quickly find yourself
needing more information.  You might want to find a topic that all
three deal with, read each online, then decide which seems best to you.

My favorite Linux book is Welsh & Kaufmann, Running Linux, from
O'Reilly.  The current edition (2nd) is a bit out-of-date, but O'Reilly
has announced a new 3rd edition, which I've not seen yet.  This book
goes into much more detail (especially on X configuration) than any
comparable book I've looked at.

Warren B. Hapke

Which book?

Post by Dan G » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have the QUE SE: Using Linux. Bought it for %40 off an Barns & Noble!
Anyways, it is a very good book, with many different areas - installing to
administration, networking to vi editor. Everything. It also doenst' assume
you use a particular distribution, although it focuses on RH, Caldera, and
Slackware.

OH, a few other things.... This "special edition" book is more advanced than
the normal "using linux", but it has a lot of useful info. This book is also
HUGE! It is probably the largest book I have! (except for the MSCE course
book :-0   ) 850+ pgs.

>I have the Mandrake 6.0 version of Linux.  One of the included CD's has
.pdf
>versions of three books.  Each of these books is hundreds of pages long.  I
>would prefer to print only one of these....any opinions as to which one
>would offer the better value?  I am completely new to Linux, so a book
which
>starts at the basics is required.  I would also like this book to be able
>offer more Linux info as I grow more proficient with it.  Here are my 3
>choices:

>SAM's Red Hat Linux Unleashed
>QUE's Special Edition: Using Linux
>SAM's Teach yourself Linux in 24 Hours

>Thanks to all who respond, it is appreciated!

>Stacey

Which book?

Post by John D » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:37:33 GMT, Warren B. Hapke

>: I have the Mandrake 6.0 version of Linux.  One of the included
CD's has .pdf
>: versions of three books.  Each of these books is hundreds
of pages long.  I
>: would prefer to print only one of these....any opinions as to
which one
>: would offer the better value?  I am completely new to Linux,
 so a book which
>: starts at the basics is required.  I would also like this
book to be able to
>: offer more Linux info as I grow more proficient with it.  Here are my 3
>: choices:

>First of all, you might want to think about the cost per page of
>printing these on you own system.  If you use an ink jet printer, the
>cost per page could be higher than the cost of a bound book in the book
>store.

>: SAM's Red Hat Linux Unleashed
>: QUE's Special Edition: Using Linux
>: SAM's Teach yourself Linux in 24 Hours

>The only one of these I'm familiar with is SAM's Teach Yourself Linux
>in 24 Hours, which I got as a birthday present about a year ago.  It's
>OK, but it doesn't go beyond the most basic level for most things.
>It will help you get started, but you could quickly find yourself
>needing more information.  You might want to find a topic that all
>three deal with, read each online, then decide which seems best to you.

>My favorite Linux book is Welsh & Kaufmann, Running Linux, from

I second this recommendation.  I use this myself.  Guess what?
Linus Torvalds confessed to liking this book.  I read the interview
with him on the web.:)

BTW I sell these brand new latest edition linux books.  'Running' goes
for $22.99 + $5 shipping.  Add $2 for red hat 6.0 cd or almost any
other linux cds.