Adaptec AH2940 UW?

Post by Alex Cellariu » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi
Does Linux support the Adaptec AH2940UW?
I have a customer using a single board computer,
and he says the install is not detecting the
SCSI interface.

Adaptec AH2940 UW?

Post by Christoph X Rausche » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Yes, I have it installed and it works fine.

BUT what board/processor/kernel/distribution ... do you use.

And what do you mean by: "the install is not detecting the
SCSI interface" ? Do you want to boot from a SCSI disk?
Does your installed kernel support SCSI (in case you don't know:
many distributions offer several preconfigured kernels.
Some of them have no SCSI support)?

> Hi
> Does Linux support the Adaptec AH2940UW?
> I have a customer using a single board computer,
> and he says the install is not detecting the
> SCSI interface.

Adaptec AH2940 UW?

Post by Arthur Torr » Wed, 27 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Hi
>Does Linux support the Adaptec AH2940UW?
>I have a customer using a single board computer,
>and he says the install is not detecting the
>SCSI interface.

 Linux DOES support the Adaptec AIC78xxx based family of controllers
(AH2940xx, etc...) in theory.  Adaptec seems to have produced many
different undoccumented ROM revisions and/or hardware variations w/
the same model #'s, so there seems to be a larger than normal number
of problems, with some cards working fine, and others not working at
all, or only with much finagling....

 I got my 2940UW system working under Red Hat with much difficulty,
(NOT directly related to the card, but more 'newbie troubles') and
wrote up the following; it applies to Red Hat, but may also be useful
for other distributions.  (I also have a larger, more detailed file I
wrote up on getting my specific setup (2940UW, w/4GB HD & CD) running,
which I will supply on request...)

 The default install image (AFAIK) doesn't work right with the adaptec
AIC78xx based controllers.  There are a couple of alternative images
with better drivers out there, I don't know where they are on the FTP
sites, but on my Infomagic CD distribution set, they are on CD#1 (the
Red Hat CD) in the directory \updates\images\i386\scsi\.

 The two files of interest for this are:
BOOTAIC7.000 or bootaic7xxx.img.gz  and/or
BOOTAIC7.IMG or bootaic7xxx-alt.img.gz

 Note that despite claims otherwise, these files may be compressed on
the CD (they were on mine...;-{) check the filesize, it should be EXACTLY
the same size as a DOS formatted 1.44 Floppy.

 BOOTAIC7.000 is based on the driver from the 2.0.18 kernel, some
cards don't like it, but did work on the old one, BOOTAIC7.IMG which
is based on the 2.0.12 kernel.  Try the new one first, if it doesn't
work, try the other.

 There is also a README in the same directory, which contains directions
to copy over the Linux kernel with the right driver in it after the
initial install.  Until this is done you won't be able to boot...

1. Getting Adaptec AH2940 to work with Linux 1.2.13

I need some help in getting this card to work with 1.2 kernel.  I cannot use
1.3 kernels due to massive page faults.

Are there any patches or tricks to getting this to work.  The card is only
going to be used for external devices.  (tape drive).

Right now I have ah-274x compiled in but am looking for patches for 1.2 in
order to get this to work.

Ted Serreyn
--
| Ted Serreyn          | Linux    | Associate Computer Analyst - UUcom, Inc. |
| Work: (703)824-1612  | AMS-6566 Laptop    | 4921 Seminary Road, Suite #107 |

--
| Ted Serreyn          | Linux    | Associate Computer Analyst - UUcom, Inc. |
| Work: (703)824-1612  | AMS-6566 Laptop    | 4921 Seminary Road, Suite #107 |

2. C++, ld & global object's constructors

3. Adaptec AH2940

4. 8/16/24bit color in X

5. Adaptec AH2940 and Quantum Empire 1GB

6. How to open the K menue without mouse?

7. UW 7.1 Perform Better than UW 2.1.3 on 2-Processor?

8. Audio cable requirement?

9. adaptec aha 2940 U/UW SCSI prob (BIOS rev 1.25)

10. adaptec 2940 uw not satisfied !

11. Help: Adaptec 2940 UW

12. Adaptec 2940 U/UW for Linux v1.2.8

13. adaptec 2940 UW + SCSI HD +linux 2.0.18 + ext SCSI ZIP drive ?