FC2 install problem on HP Pavilion ZT1230

FC2 install problem on HP Pavilion ZT1230

Post by John Thompso » Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:09:16

I decided to try installing Fedora Core 2 on an HP HP Pavilion ZT1230 but
have been unable to boot from the installation CD.  I get an ISOLINUX
image checksum error and it dies right there.  The MD5SUM on the CD checks
out fine, and indeed the CD boots without complaint on my desktop machine
so I doubt that there is an error with the CD itself.

Experimenting around a little, I found that the only CD I can boot from is
a DR-DOS CD that uses emulated floppy boot mode.  All others, e.g. the FC2
install CD, various system rescue CDs, etc. fail with the same ISOLINUX
checksum error.  I do not recall this being an issue when RH9 was
installed on the machine.

For completeness:

        CPU: Celeron 1333MHz
        RAM: 384MB
        CD:  Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2502 Rev. 1021

I'd try booting from a DVD except I have no means of burning the FC2
install DVD here.

Any ideas are welcome.

--

1. Install Problem on HP Pavilion 310n - Unable to make device node for /dev/X

This has happened on both FreeBSD 4.4 and 4.6 installation:

Hardware: HP Pavilion 310n, 1.2 Ghz Celeron, 512 M memory, 40 G HD

Software:  A Partition Magic Boot partition (FAT), HP Restore partition, and
a Windows XP partition are on the drive and working correctly.

Installing FreeBSD from bootable CD.

After booting from the CD, performing the Fdisk operations, selecting a
Standard installation (Developer), No boot sector changes, and committing to
the install, the following message is displayed and the install fails:

"Unable to make device node for /dev/X in /dev!
The creation of filesystem will be aborted."

No different Fdisk configurations or install selections gets past this
point.

Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this problem?

--

Mike Todd
President, Mike Todd Associates www.MikeTodd.com

President, Internet Society Los Angeles Chapter www.ISOC-LosAngeles.org

Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology Law
Pepperdine University Law School

  Voice:  714-846-7257
  FAX:    714-846-5716

2. Problems with the ATI of the Atlantis Motherboard

3. Help! Flaming Newbie install on HP Pavilion

4. fttp service?

5. installing X on HP 7360 Pavilion

6. account manager hangs

7. Installed memory in HP Pavilion 552w, not what it says on box?

8. Problem with Adaptec 1542B and 2GB Drive

9. Installing Linux on HP pavilion

10. can't install Red Hat 4.1 on HP Pavilion 8140

11. anyone installed linux on a HP Pavilion 7030???????

12. Problem with HP Pavilion and Linux

13. IRQ Routing Problem on ALi Chipset Laptop (HP Pavilion N5425)