Keyboard: Getting Alt_L AND Alt_R (and other iBook keyboard things)

Keyboard: Getting Alt_L AND Alt_R (and other iBook keyboard things)

Post by Bo Brinkma » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:25:08

Hi kids: I just got an iBook, and I am running YDL linux. I have an
interesting problem though: both alt keys generate Alt_L, and both shift
keys generate Shift_L. Since key-space is minimal on my laptop, it would
be a big help if Linux could tell these apart, so I could remap them to
other things.

When I do showkey (--scancodes) it shows me that both shifts and both
alts generate the same scancodes. Does this mean my stupid keyboard is
sending the same thing for both keys? Or does it mean my kernel is doing
the wrong thing somewhere? As far as I can tell, by the time we hit
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard it is too late to do anything, but I could be
wrong.

Anyone have any ideas? And for that matter, does anyone have a .kmap for
the iBook which uses the new input layer? Right now I'm using the normal
us.kmap, but it gets some of the keypad stuff wrong.

Thanks!

--

Princeton Computer Science                  http://www.derandomized.org