Moving Linux from one HD to other

Post by rdfvo3443.. » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:33:45

I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
installation from one HD to the other?

While I do have system backups, I'd rather find an easier way than to
just re-install it.

Moving Linux from one HD to other

Post by rdfvo3443.. » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:43:27

Quote:>I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
>with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
>installation from one HD to the other?

>While I do have system backups, I'd rather find an easier way than to
>just re-install it and revert to my backups.

Moving Linux from one HD to other

Post by Keegan Ale » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:05:39

The easiest way is to use the latest version of Ghost or Drive Image.
Though I haven't used them on an EXT3 partition, they're supposed to work
with it.

Another simple way, though time consuming, is to setup your second hard
drive with the partition layout you want, and use 'cp -a' to copy all your
data between the partitions on each drive.  Then, switch drives.

For example, say you have / (root) as hda1, /home as hda2, and swap as
hda3.  Create the same partition structure on the second drive, including
Swap, and mount, for example, hdb1 as /mnt/newroot and hdb2 as
/mnt/newhome.  As root, run 'cp -a / /mnt/newroot' and 'cp -a /home
/mnt/newhome'.  Just be sure and either unmount /home or delete
/mnt/newroot/home.

Once done switch drives and all should work.  I've done an entire Linux
install like this, but I have moved /usr and /home in a similar way.

Working with Windows, we get used to open files that can't be touched, so
this is difficult to do in Windows, but in Linux, it's a cake walk.

I hope this helps.. and if someone has a simpler way, sort of purchasing
Ghost or Drive Image, please chime in.

Take care,

Keegan.

02 Jan 2003 21:33:45 -0500:

Quote:> I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive with

Post by Gary » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:57:45

> I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
> with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
> installation from one HD to the other?

> While I do have system backups, I'd rather find an easier way than to
> just re-install it.

Hi,

You didn't state the size of the second HD. You could just use your distro
cdrom to boot. Then just partition the target drive and make the
filesystem. After that just do;

dd if=/dev/hda# of=/dev/hdb# Assuming the hda# and hdb# are your devices.

Sit back and have a few pots of coffee!

for information on 'dd' from YOUR console on YOUR system;
#man dd
 or;
#info dd        on your system via console

Another thing would be to do a google search.
Some simple google results;
http://www.partimage.org/
or
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/usail/man/linux/dd.1.html

--
Regards and Godspeed,
Gary

The magic is in the Magician not the wand!

Post by Timothy Murp » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 22:41:40

>I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
>with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
>installation from one HD to the other?

You might find the Hard-Disk-Upgrade mini HOWTO useful -- I did.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Moving Linux from one HD to other

Post by Chris Maurit » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:08:38

Or just boot from a rescue floppy/CD and use "dd" as the previous poster
mentioned.  That's the path of least resistance and normally works just
fine.

Cheers,

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 02:48:55

Quote:> I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
> with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
> installation from one HD to the other?

> While I do have system backups, I'd rather find an easier way than to
> just re-install it.

  There's a wonderful document floating around called the Linux hard disk
upgrade howto.

steve

Post by rdfvo3443.. » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 09:12:52

>> I have two hard drives:  one with Red Hat 7.3 and the is a 30GB drive
>> with nothing on it.  Is there an easy way to move my Linux
>> installation from one HD to the other?

>> While I do have system backups, I'd rather find an easier way than to
>> just re-install it.

>Hi,

>You didn't state the size of the second HD. You could just use your distro
>cdrom to boot. Then just partition the target drive and make the
>filesystem. After that just do;

Donor HD - 10GB Fujitsu IDE
Receiver HD - 30GB IBM IDE

Quote:>dd if=/dev/hda# of=/dev/hdb# Assuming the hda# and hdb# are your devices.

So "if" is the input filesystem (donor) and "of" is the output
filesystem (receiver)?

Quote:>Sit back and have a few pots of coffee!

Sounds good.
Quote:>for information on 'dd' from YOUR console on YOUR system;
>#man dd
> or;
>#info dd        on your system via console

>Another thing would be to do a google search.
>Some simple google results;
>http://www.partimage.org/
>or
>http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/usail/man/linux/dd.1.html

1. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Hello

My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
because of its tree-like file structure.
If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

thanx a lot

Patrick

2. Allocation failure in Ghostview

3. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

4. Unix problems!

5. how to move linux from one hd to another

6. CREDITS update

7. moving linux from one hd to another

8. Looking for SVR2 XMODEM

9. Moving from one HD to another...

10. Move OpenBSD from one hd to another (different size)

11. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

12. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425

13. X on one linux box use it on others?