hp Colorado 14GB IDE tape drive

Post by Reinaldo Cresp » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The kernel sees the tape drive while booting.  It reports hdc as the right
tape drive and capacity.  But I can't do anything with it.  I bought the
right tapes from Hp.

"mt -f /dev/ht0 status" returns : "/dev/ht0: Input/output error"
"tar cvfz /dev/ht0 /home" begins and exits in a second with :"Cannot write
to /dev/ht0: Input/output error".  As matter of fact, any operation
dealing with the tape drive will return an I/O error.

The drive never turns the tape.  Thus, I think the problem has to do with
configuration, software link, adding some module to the kernel,
recompiling the kernel, or some like that.  I've spent time looking for a
HOWTO and reading forums and news groups messages, at no avail.  Can some
one help me with this?

Thank you.

San Juan, PR.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. ide-tape-problem (HP Colorado 14GB)

Hi,

I would like to use a HP Colorado 14GB-Streamer (atapi) with Linux. I have
SuSE-Linux 6.4 which uses a patched kernel 2.2.14.

Controlling whith mt seems to work all right. With 'mt -f /dev/ht0 retension'
does something. 'mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind' works too. Even doing backups
whith cpio seems to work. But I cannot read anything from tape.

I tried 'echo Hello|dd of=/dev/ht0' (should write Hello on the tape). The
streamer do something. Doing 'dd if=/dev/ht0' gives me a I/O-Error. My
logfile tells me:
Apr 15 23:38:37 msv kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 1e, key =  5, asc = 20, ascq =  0
Apr 15 23:38:35 msv kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  8, key =  5, asc = 2c, ascq =  0

The streamer is a slave device on the secondary IDE-channel. Master is a
CD-ROM.

Thanks

Tommi M?kitalo

2. SSA Performance

3. HP Colorado 14GB (IDE) with RedHat 6.0

4. Problem compiling kernel 2.2.17

5. HP/Colorado 14GB Tape (Model C4405A)

6. eth0 and bootup

7. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

8. Free Quick Reference Cards in PDF format

9. HP Colorado IDE (ATAPI) 5GB tape drive

10. Need Help - HP Colorado IDE Tape Drive

11. How can I get my HP Colorado 8Gb travan 4 IDE tape drive up on Linux?

12. HP Colorado 2.5/5GB IDE Tape Drive

13. HP Colorado 5 Gig IDE Tape Drive