SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by Joseph K » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
: both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
: card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
: can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.

Linux supports PnP-ISA. Read my sig.

--
Andrew E. Mileski

Linux Plug-and-Play Project Leader  http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
PGP public keys are available from  http://www.redhat.com/~aem/pgp-keys.txt

SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by paul gangwis » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
>: both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
>: card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
>: can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.

>My SB card worked straight out of the box under linux. You need to compile
>support into the kernel making sure that the IRQ, DMA, etc are all as per
>your h/w configuration. Works fine under W95 as well. I have not disabled
>anything on the card itself or via a utility program.

>IAP

Good,
But is it a PnP Soundblaster?   That's where the problem seems to lie.

--
Paul Gangwisch

SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by Michael Ker » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >: I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
> >: both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
> >: card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
> >: can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.

You can't set it by jumpers (at least mine couldn't) but you
can boot windows 95 first to set the IRQ, etc. correctly and
then use the same values in Linux.  Note the Values used are
also in your autoexec.bat or should be if not.

SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by paul gangwis » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> >: I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
>> >: both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
>> >: card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
>> >: can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.

>You can't set it by jumpers (at least mine couldn't) but you
>can boot windows 95 first to set the IRQ, etc. correctly and
>then use the same values in Linux.  Note the Values used are
>also in your autoexec.bat or should be if not.

I tried this, but haven't been able to make it work with my pnp.
I created the devices fine (/dev/audio, etc.) and I get kernel
messages regarding SOUND during boot, but when I do a "cat /dev/sndstat"
as recommended in the (excellent) HOWTO, the "Audio devices:"
entry is blank.

Are you SURE you are using a pnp sound board?

--
Paul Gangwisch

SB 16 PnP & Linux

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: >: I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP sound card.  I would like it to work under
: >: both Win95 and Linux 2.x.x.  I understand that I need to disable the
: >: card's PnP feature and set it manually both in Win95 and Linux.  But I
: >: can't seem to find a utility that will allow me to do this.
: >
: >My SB card worked straight out of the box under linux. You need to compile
: >support into the kernel making sure that the IRQ, DMA, etc are all as per
: >your h/w configuration. Works fine under W95 as well. I have not disabled
: >anything on the card itself or via a utility program.
:
: But is it a PnP Soundblaster?   That's where the problem seems to lie.

Linux supports PnP-ISA. Read my sig. I use an AWE32-PnP.

--
[...]

I'm using an AWE32-PnP. Linux supports PnP-ISA using the isapnptools
package or the PnP4kernel package.

--
[...]

You don't have to do this. Linux supports PnP-ISA. Read my sig.
I use an AWE32-PnP with the isapnptools package.

--
Andrew E. Mileski

Linux Plug-and-Play Project Leader http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
PGP Public keys are available from http://www.redhat.com/~aem/pgp-keys.txt

1. SB 16 VE PnP & Linux

Hello,

I read about problems with Plug & Play devices and Linux. I've had some problems with it myself (I have a SoundBlaster 16 VE Plug & Play), and tried using isapnptools, but that didn't work. Now here comes the funny bit: I reinstalled Linux (new (2.5GB Caviar :-) ), recompiled the kernel (2.0.27) with soundcard-support, and correct settings for the soundcard, and upon boottime it just initialised the card like it wasn't a PnP at all! (Yes, I'm 100% sure it's PnP). So if anyone has the same configuration as me (SB 16 VE PnP on Triton VX motherboard), just try recompiling your kernel (new version) with sound support and all that. It's quite well possible you won't need isapnptools after all.

PS: if you know anything about mounting ext2fs under Win95 (see previous article), let me know.

Martijn Biewenga

2. Trouble configuring X for trident 3D Image 975 with AOC 7Glr monitor

3. Which PNP support for Vibra 16 / SB 16

4. about sound card

5. 2.2.x PnP sound card (SB 16 / Vibra 16)

6. What widget could be read/written easily?

7. SB 16 PnP: 8-bit sound works, 16-bit sound broken?

8. vgacon: I like Tux, but ...

9. RedHat 5.2 & SB 16 Pnp

10. Help! SB 16 pnp in Linux

11. ISA PnP SB 16 Now Works!