DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

Post by Jube » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:55:27

Hi,

I have 2 laptops, one relatively old (Celeron 800 based) and another
relatively new (P4 2.6 based).

Both seem to have problems accessing DVD+RW disks.  They'll work fine
for a bit then die horribly.  Under Windows, I get serious video stutter
playing dvd movies from DVD+RW's, under Linux xine will pop up an error
saying it can no longer read a disk.  Large file copies die horribly
too.  The same disks work fine on my PC's DVD writer.  The problem
occurs on disks written with both my writer, and a friend's writer.

I am at a complete loss now and this is incredibly irritating.

Thanks in advance

Jubei

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. How can I syncronize the date in my network?

3. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

4. Apache 1.3 on LAN

5. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

6. *** Sony CPD-15SF1 (trinitron) - please comment it ***

7. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

8. USB digital camera: can't mount mass storage device

9. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

10. Problems burning dvd-r and dvd-rw

11. Trouble changing the DVD-booktype width dvd+rw-booktype

12. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

13. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF