Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

Post by Jose Antonio C. Baduria, Jr » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

    I have recently bought a new 6.5 HDD. I installed different OSes
like Windows 95,
Solaris 2.5.1 and Slackware Linux 2.1.34. I first installed Windows 95.
I then installed
System Commander so that I can have multi-boot capability. I then
installed Solaris. It
installed its own multi-boot program. To get back to System commander, I
just rebooted
the machine, select Windows 95 and re-install system commander to make
it again my
muli-boot program. It works perfectly. I was able to choose booting in
Windows 95 and
Solaris.
    I then decided later on to install Linux (I cannot get a C compiler
for Solaris so I
cannot install the GNU softwares, making Solaris useless except for
minimal use) which
I had read is getting a lot of attention and is the best there is. The
installation went well
with minor glitches. I also made a floppy disk installation. I was able
to run Linux
using the floppy disk. However, when I tried booting it up using System
Commander,
I cannot boot Linux (it cannot recognize the Linux partition, although
it says Linux in
the selection). That's why I'm booting Linux using the FDD. Does anyone
know about
this problem? I would really like to be able to boot Linux thru HDD.

Thanks

Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

Post by Michael Nezezo » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>SNIP<<
> I also made a floppy disk installation. I was able
> to run Linux
> using the floppy disk. However, when I tried booting it up using System
> Commander,
> I cannot boot Linux (it cannot recognize the Linux partition, although
> it says Linux in
> the selection). That's why I'm booting Linux using the FDD. Does anyone
> know about
> this problem? I would really like to be able to boot Linux thru HDD.

In the System Commander manual they recommend to install LILO in the Linux
partition.  If you installed Linux and selected "boot from floppy" then
there is nothing for System Commander to boot, it just recognizes the OS
and adds a nonfunctional selection to its menu.

Mike

Post by Daniel Erskin » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >>SNIP<<
> > I also made a floppy disk installation. I was able
> > to run Linux
> > using the floppy disk. However, when I tried booting it up using System
> > Commander,
> > I cannot boot Linux (it cannot recognize the Linux partition, although
> > it says Linux in
> > the selection). That's why I'm booting Linux using the FDD. Does anyone
> > know about
> > this problem? I would really like to be able to boot Linux thru HDD.

> In the System Commander manual they recommend to install LILO in the Linux
> partition.  If you installed Linux and selected "boot from floppy" then
> there is nothing for System Commander to boot, it just recognizes the OS
> and adds a nonfunctional selection to its menu.

> Mike

Greetings, Jose:
  I agree with Mike!  You need to put the lilo boot record on the "root"
Linux partition!  Another consideration; is your Linux partition under
the 512Mb (1024 cylinder) boundary?  I know that you have to pass certain
boot parameters via "lilo" to the kernel, to do this!  I don't know the
exact information, but the file this goes into is "/etc/lilo.conf", and
is accessed by the "append=" option.

Hope this helps,
    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

Post by jac.. » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    I have recently bought a new 6.5 HDD. I installed different OSes
>like Windows 95,
>Solaris 2.5.1 and Slackware Linux 2.1.34. I first installed Windows 95.
>I then installed
>System Commander so that I can have multi-boot capability. I then
>installed Solaris. It
>installed its own multi-boot program. To get back to System commander, I
>just rebooted
>the machine, select Windows 95 and re-install system commander to make
>it again my
>muli-boot program. It works perfectly. I was able to choose booting in
>Windows 95 and
>Solaris.
>    I then decided later on to install Linux (I cannot get a C compiler
>for Solaris so I
>cannot install the GNU softwares, making Solaris useless except for
>minimal use) which
>I had read is getting a lot of attention and is the best there is. The
>installation went well
>with minor glitches. I also made a floppy disk installation. I was able
>to run Linux
>using the floppy disk. However, when I tried booting it up using System
>Commander,
>I cannot boot Linux (it cannot recognize the Linux partition, although
>it says Linux in
>the selection). That's why I'm booting Linux using the FDD. Does anyone
>know about
>this problem? I would really like to be able to boot Linux thru HDD.

I had Linux booting through OS2 BootManager with no problem (though Linux is
temporarily not on my system).  I think the key is that LILO must be in the
equation somewhere.  I think that Bootmanager actually had an entry pointing to
LILO itself and that LILO actually set up the boot of LINUX.
As for System Commander, despite its many glowing reviews, I have been unable
to get it to work except to boot OSs already installed, the same capability as OS2s
BootManager.  All the touted capabilities for safely loading various OSs have failed
utterly for me.  In addition, V-Com support seems totally useless.  I sat on the tech
support phone line for some time before I gave up.  Multiple notes via email to
V-Com tech support have gone totally unanswered.
I wonder if V-Com is about to go out of business?

Problem in booting Linux using System Commander

Post by Frédéric Fau » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>As for System Commander, despite its many glowing reviews, I have been unable
>to get it to work except to boot OSs already installed, the same capability as OS2s
>BootManager.  All the touted capabilities for safely loading various OSs have failed
>utterly for me.  In addition, V-Com support seems totally useless.  I sat on the tech
>support phone line for some time before I gave up.  Multiple notes via email to
>V-Com tech support have gone totally unanswered.

I'm using BMger and SysC on two PCs. As for SysC, all I did was
install Win98, then SysC, then LILO in the MBR, modified the root=
line so that it pointed to the right partition, and updated SysC so
Linux would be included. Done! I also like BMger, but it requires its
own, primary partition.

L8er,
Frdric Faure.
Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Post by Keary O'Del » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >As for System Commander, despite its many glowing reviews, I have been unable
> >to get it to work except to boot OSs already installed, the same capability as OS2s
> >BootManager.  All the touted capabilities for safely loading various OSs have failed
> >utterly for me.  In addition, V-Com support seems totally useless.  I sat on the tech
> >support phone line for some time before I gave up.  Multiple notes via email to
> >V-Com tech support have gone totally unanswered.

I had a similar problem using system commander with Linux and Win95, basically I fixed it
by using the super block to boot Linux, and not the MBR

1. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

I'm having the same problem at the moment.  I've managed to get
through configuring my other items (NT, 95, DOS).

I've upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2, hoping the upgrade would shake
things loose and write a boot-sector to the drive I want to boot
FreeBSD on, but no luck.  The symptom is a pop-up dialog (presented by
System Commander at boot time) that says the boot record is bogus (or
something like that).

Of course, I can still boot off my floppy (with Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel),
so I know there's something there that's bootable.

But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
1st partition).

I used to multiboot using the NT loader using the method of compiling
a bood program from the FreeBSD src somewhere, creating a bootsec
program which I then deposited on Drive C: and then mucked with the NT
loader configuration to present the FreeBSD choice.  But along with
reorganizing my big drive 1, I changed to System Commander to take
advantage of some of the other features SC has like partition-hiding
and multiple primary partitions on a single drive.

Thanks
--
John Hight              hight

SRI International       sri.com

2. not changing EUID in shell programm ?

3. Using System Commander to boot to Linux and Win95

4. Is linux multi-CPU capable?

5. problems to boot linux with system commander.

6. stupid question about num-lock (setleds)

7. anyone used "System Commander" boot manager?

8. network beginner

9. Booting using lilo and system commander

10. Multi boot using System Commander

11. dual boot windows Me and RH 7.1 using system commander 2000

12. X86/system commander/lost boot/can't boot

13. Installing System Commander on a preconfigured dual-boot system ?