/dev/dsp and /dev/audio

Post by Jaso » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i seem to have deleted them on accident. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio that is.
any idea on how to get them back? i know mknod has something to do with it
but i am not sure, i tried and just messed it up more. i have kernel
2.0.33 running with sound compiled in. i was trying to set up a network
card and the sound card got messed up in the process.

oh yeah..the soundcard is a AWE64. i tried t oget the updated drivers as
specified in the Soundcard-AWE64 miniHOWTO but it did not work...any
suggestions on that as well would be appreciated.

thanks

jason

--
jae aye ess oh in

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio

Post by Trane Franck » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> i seem to have deleted them on accident. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio that is.
> any idea on how to get them back? i know mknod has something to do with
it
> but i am not sure, i tried and just messed it up more. i have kernel
> 2.0.33 running with sound compiled in. i was trying to set up a network
> card and the sound card got messed up in the process.

If you have the source tree installed (/usr/src/linux...),
check out the file devices.txt in the Documentation directory.
It has all the major and minor numbers needed so you can
use mknod to recreate these devices.

Quote:> oh yeah..the soundcard is a AWE64. i tried t oget the updated drivers as
> specified in the Soundcard-AWE64 miniHOWTO but it did not work...any
> suggestions on that as well would be appreciated.

Sorry. I'm using a Sound Blaster 16 and the commercial OSS
sound drivers.

trane
//  Our OS who art in cpu,
//  UNIX be thy name,
//  Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
//  In Kernel as it is in user.
//  Amen.

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio

Post by Mark Phillip » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Chekout the /dev/MAKEDEV script.

Good Luck
Mark
--
Mark S. Phillips        ESN 742 2461

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio

Post by Jason Matthew Wad » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

yeah...i found the problem. after trying to hack my kernel to bits, and a
few swift kicks tothe side of my computer case, i rebooted and searched
the bios. well...i found the little box that i had changed a few weeks ago
named "PNP OS installed." i had it on yes, well...that is wrong. i turned
it off and the sound card works fine now. i think the bios was thinking
that it did not have to do plug and play because the OS would do it. i am
not too sure about that but i know that it works fine now and it would
have worked fine if i had not changed it in the first place.

the motherboard is a FIC PA-2007 with an award bios. any further problems
i have fixed on my own.. thanks though..

jason

--
jae aye ess oh in
double-yew aye dee ee

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. Who forgot to check CGI_MAGIC_TYPE??!!

3. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

4. iptables vs. nfs

5. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

6. Wierd sendmail problems, running FreeBSD 3.2 Release!

7. Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

8. Is there any MS-Windows-Application to connect to the Solaris-Calendarr

9. problem linking support for /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

10. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

11. Using /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

12. /dev/audio & /dev/dsp problem

13. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine