??: Mandrake, XWindows and Trident PCI Video Card Error - Can't Detect Video RAM???

??: Mandrake, XWindows and Trident PCI Video Card Error - Can't Detect Video RAM???

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi All;

I am trying to help a friend install Mandrake.  He is a new user and
everything went well except for the XFree86 configuration.

Xconfigurator reports an error trying to probe the video card for
memory.  It reports 64K of memory where Win98 recognises 2meg.  The
card is identified as a Trident PCI 96xx (I think), the card is
supposed to be a 94xx, but I think the SVGA server handles several
models with the same driver.

This means that XWindows will only open in 300x320 mode (or something
equally silly).

My question is ... has anyone experienced this and know of a work
around???

My friend is doing some web/deja news searches but I though I'd try a
question here in the mean time, some times it is a relatively common
problem that has a work around.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

  Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                'City of the Thousand Islands'

           http://www.*tap.com/dmitton
     User Group: http://www.veryComputer.com/
  SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

1. Trident 9680 Video Card vs. Cirrus Login 5430 Video Card

Greetings!

    I'm in a situation here...  Got my choice of a Trident 9680 or a Cirrus
5430 video card.  Both are PCI, both have 2 megs.

    They're both supported under Win/NT 4.0..  Here's the rub - Which is the
better card under X-free86?  Are there problems with either of them?  I'd be
after 800x600x256, will these cards handle this mode under X?

    Thanks!

             Heath Doane

2. Problems with developing fbdev application

3. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

4. Scheduling Software

5. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

6. time stamp and From: rewrites in default sendmail mx

7. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

8. Xdmcp

9. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

10. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?

11. X Config for Trident PCI-47 video card.

12. Looking for Trident 9440 AGI/SMT PCI-video-card setup information.

13. XServer and a Trident 9440 PCI video card