dual celeron or single P-III

Post by MegaSurg » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs out
there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz P-III
CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
facts welcome.  Thanks.

--
"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just
skimming

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by Rolf Magnu » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:MegaSurge wrote...
>I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs out
>there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
>with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz P-III
>CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
>facts welcome.  Thanks.

I'd say go with the dual Celeron since one Celeron CPU would not be that
much slower than a P-III CPU, but under linux with a 2.2 or better a 2.3
kernel, you will probably benefit from it, although this will depend on the
programs you use.

Rolf Magnus

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by C.J » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs out
>there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
>with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz P-III
>CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
>facts welcome.  Thanks.

P-III is basically a P-II, and the core of the P-II is exactly the same of
the Celerons). The differences are:

. with the Celeron you get a 66 MHz bus (unless overclocking), with the
P-III a 100 MHz bus

So:

. if you mostly want to run one process with acceses constantly to memory,

. if you mostly want to run many servers, or even just one process, but it

. if you mostly want to run one program, but you can run it twice to get the

Mb and Red Hat 6.0. The system is stable and performing very nice, as we use
it with two heavy number-crunching procesess running, one on each processor.

And some time from now, we'll go into overclocking, fairly simple with the
Abit BP6.

Just one drawback : it couldn't make the computer boot from a CD-ROM.
Everything else is ok.

Regards.

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by Gunter Ohrne » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs out
> there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
> with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz P-III
> CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
> facts welcome.  Thanks.

I'm running a DualCeleron 466 System under Linux 2.2.14 and I'm quite
satisfied with it. Although you don't get extreme top-speeds in your
applications (Although I didn't test Linux on faster systems like Athlon
or PIII.), the system is quite fast and the response time is very good,
even under extreme loads. I've never seen that with a
single-processor-system and I doubt a PII system will be able compete in
this point.

Greetinx,

  Gunter Ohrner

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- http://www.scheibenwelt.de/ -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by BROC » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs out
> >there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
> >with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz P-III
> >CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
> >facts welcome.  Thanks.

> P-III is basically a P-II, and the core of the P-II is exactly the same of
> the Celerons). The differences are:

> . with the Celeron you get a 66 MHz bus (unless overclocking), with the
> P-III a 100 MHz bus

> So:

> . if you mostly want to run one process with acceses constantly to memory,

> . if you mostly want to run many servers, or even just one process, but it

> . if you mostly want to run one program, but you can run it twice to get
the

128
> Mb and Red Hat 6.0. The system is stable and performing very nice, as we
use
> it with two heavy number-crunching procesess running, one on each
processor.

> And some time from now, we'll go into overclocking, fairly simple with the
> Abit BP6.

> Just one drawback : it couldn't make the computer boot from a CD-ROM.
> Everything else is ok.

> Regards.

Carlos...
i just ordered a abit bp6 with one 466 (planning on getting a second next
month), whats with the CD boot problem?

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by Greg Leblan » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> MegaSurge escribi en mensaje

> >I have an opinion question for any of you hardware/benchmark buffs
out
> >there.  Which do you think would be better, an A-Bit BP6 motherboard
> >with dual 500 mhz Celerons, or an A-Bit BE6 with a single 500 mhz
P-III
> >CPU?  I'm curious because I'm not sure what to get.  All opinions and
> >facts welcome.  Thanks.

> P-III is basically a P-II, and the core of the P-II is exactly the
same of
> the Celerons). The differences are:

Uhm, sort of.  With a Celery, you get 128Kb of cache at 500MHz.  With a
P-III you get either 512Kb of cache at 1/2 the clock speed, or 256Kb of
cache at FULL clock speed.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

dual celeron or single P-III

Post by David Ript » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> Just one drawback : it couldn't make the computer boot from a CD-ROM.
>> Everything else is ok.
>i just ordered a abit bp6 with one 466 (planning on getting a second next
>month), whats with the CD boot problem?

My BP6 can boot from CD.

Check your BIOS settings.  The BP6 defaults to UDMA mode for CDROMs
unless you tell it not to, and older CDROM drives don't speak UDMA.
This misconfiguration will keep you from booting from CD.  But it
won't necessarily keep you from using the CD after the OS is done
fall back to a slower mode if the one configured in the BIOS
doesn't work.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

1. Dual celeron vs single celeron performance

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade my box and would like to know how a dual celeron
compares to a single celeron in terms of performance (and the same
question for other cpus also). For example when it comes to build
programs using make - could I expect a near 2-fold performance
increase? Does the performance increase come automatically or is there
some special things one should need to think about when writing
makefiles or is another make recommended?

From what I can figure out the celeron seem to behave very well in
compilation tests when compared to the other cpus, but I haven't seen
a test that compares the celeron to the athlon yet. Would a dual
400MHz celeron outcompile the 500MHz athlon for example? And how do
these systems compare under other situations?

/Lars

2. TV out on Nvidia TNT2

3. P-II P-III or Celeron in an Apache Server

4. How to install 4.7-stable?

5. Unixware printing to Netware Printers

6. dual Celeron VS single K7

7. Adaptec 2842VL - Is there a driver?

8. FA: Overclocked Celeron & Dual Celeron Systems with Linux

9. Abit bp6 dual-celeron and dual-display (linux/X11)

10. Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...

11. difference between dual-single ended scsi card and single ended scsi card