recording sound gives poor quality

Post by Fritz Reichman » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

I have an old noname sound card which I was able to get running with the
mad16 and mozart drivers. the output from the kernel is attached below.

If I play sounds from prerecorded mp3, realaudio or .au-Files, I get an
excellent sound quality.

The strange thing: If I try to record sound with a command (taken from
the Sound-HOWTO):

dd if=/dev/audio of=bla.au bs=4k count=4

then the sound is extremely noisy and sound as if it was played much too
slow. My voice sounds very deep and slow when I replay it with

cat bla.au > /dev/audio

I read that I need a mixer. I tried several ones, aumix, xmix and kmix.
If I start these, I hear a very clear signal on the loudspeakers. Still,
if I try to record and play the sound I get the poor quality.

I am trying to set this up to be able to telephone with speekfreely.
This programm also delivers the poor sound quality when reading in from
the microphone.

Can anyone point me into the right direction, please ?

Fritz

The mashine is a Celeron 400MHz with 64M of RAM.

Kernel boot message:

Sound initialization started
<MAD16 WSS (82C930)> at 0x534 irq 7 dma 0,1
<Mad16/Mozart> at 0x300 irq 5 dma 0
Sound initialization complete

From /proc:

Quote:> cat /proc/sound

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux fritz 2.2.14 #8 Sun Apr 30 16:30:20 MEST 2000 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 19: MAD16/Mozart (MSS)
Type 20: MAD16/Mozart (MPU)
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
MAD16/Mozart (MSS) at 0x530 irq 7 drq 0,1
MAD16/Mozart (MPU) at 0x300 irq 5 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: Mad16/Mozart

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930)

recording sound gives poor quality

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 01 May 2000 10:20:17 +0200, Fritz Reichmann

Quote:>If I play sounds from prerecorded mp3, realaudio or .au-Files, I get an
>excellent sound quality.

>The strange thing: If I try to record sound with a command (taken from
>the Sound-HOWTO):

>dd if=/dev/audio of=bla.au bs=4k count=4

>then the sound is extremely noisy and sound as if it was played much too
>slow. My voice sounds very deep and slow when I replay it with

>cat bla.au > /dev/audio

[snip]

/dev/audio is really a backwards-combatible hack, to be compatible with
the old audio interface on Suns, which was 8 or 11.1 KHz IIRC.  That will
always give you poor sound quality.  You will want something different
from "cat" to do your sound recording.  Try the "wavrec" program, or go to
http://freshmeat.net and perform a search on "sound record" and see what
you can find.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

1. poor sound recording quality

I am running RedHat 6.0 on a laptop with a Yamaha sound card.  It took a
bit of effort to get the sound card to record from the microphone or
line in, but now that I can I get very poor sound quality.  The recorded
.wav files have a lot of static.  I can play sound files recorded in
other ways (for example, ripped from a CD) the sound is fine, so I know
that it is the recording stage that needs work.

I got the settings for io, mss_io, irq, dma, and so on from Windows
(which is also installed on the computer) and wrote them into
/etc/conf.modules.  Before I changed those settings I couldn't record at
all, though I could play files just fine.  In windows I can record, and
the quality is just fine.

I am using wavrec to record to a .wav file, and wavplay to play the
file.

Any ideas what could be wrong?  Since there were more io settings in
windows than I could set in Linux, I tried all of the possibilities.
Not all of them allowed me to record, but those that did were all of the
same poor quality.

-Scot

--

  Scot Shaw
  Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

2. PROBLEMS:BOOT, MEMORY, SPEED,FILES,..

3. Q: poor sound quality, why?

4. Moving files

5. Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

6. Newbie Linux/WinLinux Questions

7. Sound card: poor quality from CD drive... mixer needed?

8. RealPlayer on Alpha?

9. cdda2wav - poor sound quality

10. ??:Kernel Update Now Poor Sound Quality ... Help?!?!?!

11. Sound cards with good recording quality in Linux

12. Real Audio gives poor sound

13. recording sound give only noise--help!