help - can't install 3-1/2" floppy drive - it keeps on spinning

help - can't install 3-1/2" floppy drive - it keeps on spinning

Post by LOUIS L » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

My computer works fine when I install one 5-1/2 floppy drive as dirve
A.  But when | install a 3-1/2" floppy drive as drive B, both drive
A??B keep spinning with led light on all the time and the display
shows both are not ready.  I also attempted to install just one 3-1/2"
floppy drive as drive A, the same problem happens - it keep spinning
with LED lights on, but cannot read or write.

My configuration is :-
Intel 486DX2 - 66 MHZ CPU
AMI BIOS VL BUS motherboard with VL BUS DISPLAY CARD  and VLBUS IDE
CARD (1 PARALL PORT 2 SERIAL PORT)
One Seagate 1.2G HARD DISK (formated with Disk Manager, but I have not
installed the hard disk in order to eliminate any conflict caused by
hard disk)

Any advice will be much appreciated. My email address is

Post by Oertl Wolfga » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: A.  But when | install a 3-1/2" floppy drive as drive B, both drive
: A??B keep spinning with led light on all the time and the display
: shows both are not ready.

This always happens when you attach a drive the wrong way round, which
is possible with those plugs that don't have an up-side.  So twist
the 3.5" plug 180 degrees and it should work.

--
        - Wolfgang

Post by Dave Westerm » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>My computer works fine when I install one 5-1/2 floppy drive as dirve
>A.  But when | install a 3-1/2" floppy drive as drive B, both drive
>A??B keep spinning with led light on all the time and the display
>shows both are not ready.  I also attempted to install just one 3-1/2"
>floppy drive as drive A, the same problem happens - it keep spinning
>with LED lights on, but cannot read or write.

Sounds like you might have the cable hooked up backwards on either the
3.5" floppy or on the controller.  Make sure the red stripe lines up
with pin1 on everything.  The symptoms you describe are EXACTLY what
happens when you do that :)

I've been a technician for some years, and I STILL do that every now
and then.  Never killed a drive yet, though :)

Dave
=========
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1441
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/astral.html

Yes!  I do web page design! :)
=========

Post by Roeland Th. Jans » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> My computer works fine when I install one 5-1/2 floppy drive as dirve
> A.  But when | install a 3-1/2" floppy drive as drive B, both drive
> A??B keep spinning with led light on all the time and the display
> shows both are not ready.  I also attempted to install just one 3-1/2"
> floppy drive as drive A, the same problem happens - it keep spinning
> with LED lights on, but cannot read or write.

basically this happens if you have the flatcable incorrectly installed. flip
it 180 degrees. (see email for technical details, why it happens)
--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.x i586)

1. Can't talk to my 3-1/2" drive...

The system: 386/33, 0.99pl14, libc 4.5.8 and outlying territories.

The problem: I don't seem to be able to get any useful results out of my
3-1/2" drive.  fdformat /dev/fd1H1440 gives a slew of error messages, mostly
"probe failed"; the various mtools programs and attempts to mount a DOS floppy
do the same sort of thing.  I don't have any known good 3-1/2" disks with
non-DOS filesystems.

I don't think it's anything obvious about my software, as 5-1/4" floppies
work fine (all sorts of different filesystems, formatting, you name it); nor
do I think it's the drive, since at last note it worked fine when I booted
DOS from a floppy.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

        NT
--

2. History Up-Arrow in OpenWin?

3. Help: trying to install from hard drive - "can't find file"

4. Integrity of unix disk dumps

5. Combining NATD with IPFW's "keep-state" and "check-state" rules

6. Simple Mystery

7. Thinkpad Hard Drive Keeps Spinning Up

8. Added RAM now kernel PANICS!

9. hdparm - drive keeps spinning up

10. Thinkpad Hard Drive Keeps Spinning Up

11. What are the hardware differences between "regular" floppy drives and IBM Thinkpad drives ?

12. Seagate SCSI drive works "spins up" under DOS but not Linux

13. OSR5 install hangs, but asterisks keep spinning - why?