What is a good tape drive for Linux

Post by roland.. » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am looking for a good backup solution for my new Linux box.  I'd
prefer some sort of tape backup.  If someone could suggest a good tape
drive for Linux I'd apreciate it.

I've checked the Hardware Compatibility howto, various Linux resources
and still haven't managed to find something.  I'd prefer something that
is not SCSI and reasonably priced, < $500.

If anyone can suggest drives to look at or drives to avoid I'd
apreciate it.

Shawn

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

What is a good tape drive for Linux

Post by Tam McLaughli » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Count me in on this. I have a spare HP Colorada 8 Gb tape backup unit which
connects to
the parallel port and would like to know how to set this up.

>I am looking for a good backup solution for my new Linux box.  I'd
>prefer some sort of tape backup.  If someone could suggest a good tape
>drive for Linux I'd apreciate it.

>I've checked the Hardware Compatibility howto, various Linux resources
>and still haven't managed to find something.  I'd prefer something that
>is not SCSI and reasonably priced, < $500.

>If anyone can suggest drives to look at or drives to avoid I'd
>apreciate it.

>Shawn

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

What is a good tape drive for Linux

Post by Scott W. Peters » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:11:50 +0100, "Tam McLaughlin"

>Count me in on this. I have a spare HP Colorada 8 Gb tape backup unit which
>connects to
>the parallel port and would like to know how to set this up.

Did you go to the Ftape home page?  They do have support for parallel
port tape drives but I don't know about the exact models.

Scott
Please remove *N*o*S*p*a*m* from my e-mail
address.

Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Elgin, IL USA

What is a good tape drive for Linux

Post by Carl R. Stevenso » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Could someone please post the URL for the "Ftape home page"?

Thanks,
Carl

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:11:50 +0100, "Tam McLaughlin"

> >Count me in on this. I have a spare HP Colorada 8 Gb tape backup unit which
> >connects to
> >the parallel port and would like to know how to set this up.

> Did you go to the Ftape home page?  They do have support for parallel
> port tape drives but I don't know about the exact models.

> Scott
> Please remove *N*o*S*p*a*m* from my e-mail
> address.

> Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
> Elgin, IL USA

What is a good tape drive for Linux

Post by Jürgen Pfan » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello there,

> Could someone please post the URL for the "Ftape home page"?

Could someone please feed the expression "Ftape" to any search engine ?
Anyway, here it is :
http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/ .
BTW : still the same since 2.0.x and as such also 'greppable' in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation or /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape (But
we're sooo cool, who needs documentation, eh?).

> Thanks,
> Carl

> > On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:11:50 +0100, "Tam McLaughlin"

> > >Count me in on this. I have a spare HP Colorada 8 Gb tape backup unit which
> > >connects to
> > >the parallel port and would like to know how to set this up.

> > Did you go to the Ftape home page?  They do have support for parallel
> > port tape drives but I don't know about the exact models.

> > Scott

Juergen