Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

Post by Vic Mortelma » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have a windows95-ready plug-and-play soundcard in my computer (damn me!). I
installed the Slackware 3.0 distribution (bare boot, color root, regular IDE
kernel), no problems. I did not install LILO, but made a boot-disk (to be on
the safe side with the other OS on my system).

When I try to boot linux, the system hangs during the hardware initialisation.
First linux initialises the printer, and directly after this a short 'tick' is
heard from the speakers of the soundcard and then nothing happens... There's
even no reaction to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I don't have the intention to use my soundcard with linux, and I hope there
must be a way to let linux to ignore it or something... The Sound-HOWTO says
current linux-versions are not ready for plug-and-play, but does that mean I
cannot run linux on a computer with such a card in it?

My data:

S23 audio card
16 bit
Windows95 plug-and-play ready
NSP ready
Software settings of I/O,IRQ and DMA

It is currently using IRQ 9, DMA 0 and 1, I/O 0534-0537 and 0388-038B and
0220-022F
I tested the linux booting after removing all cards except the soundcard, and
still the problem occurs, so I don't think it is a conflict with another card.
With all cards removed, linux boots correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Vic Mortelmans

Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

Post by SysOp Suppo » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a windows95-ready plug-and-play soundcard in my computer

I believe you need to disable the plug and play feature.  I assume that
you are speaking of an ISA card.

Many cards come with a configuration utility (usually DOS or Windoze) that
allows you to disable the PAP and manually set the address and IRQ (& DMA).

If you don't have that, you may wish to contact the manufacturer.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; it sounds very frustrating.

Regards,

Support Dept.

--
PreRapture Solutions Inc. 800-SELLCOM 919-286-1502 (24hr) / Quality products
at discount prices. Supporting SysOps and industry. USA & International!

ISDN, 28.8, 56k etc.) your name, company name, address, and voice phone).

Post by Holger P. Krek » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I have a windows95-ready plug-and-play soundcard in my computer (damn me!). I
: installed the Slackware 3.0 distribution (bare boot, color root, regular IDE
: kernel), no problems. I did not install LILO, but made a boot-disk (to be on
: the safe side with the other OS on my system).

Linux is no yet supporting PNP-cards in general. Some cards may work but it
seems your card is none of them.

: When I try to boot linux, the system hangs during the hardware initialisation.
: First linux initialises the printer, and directly after this a short 'tick' is
: heard from the speakers of the soundcard and then nothing happens... There's
: even no reaction to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

try to setup your card in dos then start loadlin to load linux warmly (directly
from dos). some cards are supposed to work this way.
Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/drivers/sound/readme.cards for more
informations.

: I don't have the intention to use my soundcard with linux, and I hope there
: must be a way to let linux to ignore it or something... The Sound-HOWTO says
: current linux-versions are not ready for plug-and-play, but does that mean I
: cannot run linux on a computer with such a card in it?

if your warm-start your computer this may work.

   Holger
--
Holger Krekel

Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

1. Help:What ist the address of a Plug-and-Play Soundcard?

Hi!
I have got the ES1868 Soundblaster Pro compatible Soundcard (Plug and
Play).
The Kernel is compiled with the Sound-Blaster Pro Drivers.
But if I want to use /dev/audio or /dev/dsp the answer is
/dev/audio: No such device or address

I think the reason for this is, that the address in the driver is
not set correctly. But how can I find the real address of the card?

If somebody has an idea, pleas mail me!

Greetings,
Benedikt

2. Unzip for UNIX

3. A plug for the Plug-and-Play Howto

4. LK-250 key maps

5. trying to get plug & play soundcard to work...

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

8. authentification for news under linux

9. Help, Plug and Play Modem (SupraExpress 28.8i PNP) and Soundcard (SB AWE64) installation problems

10. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

11. Plug and play troubles, and the linux boot disk

12. Plug-and-Play Linux (fall 94) and EtherExpress PRO - any words of wisdom?

13. help: running ygg plug-and-play without CD