digital camera/usb-storage module problem

digital camera/usb-storage module problem

Post by Kai Richte » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 23:36:42

hi there,

i have a DimageX from Minolta.

I can connect it the usual way via scsi stuff and the usb-storage
module, i.e. the cameras file system appears at the next free scsi drive
(in pure-ide systems this is /dev/sda1; in my case -I already have a
scsi drive- it appears at /dev/sdb1). So far, everything works fine.

However, if I want to download pics from several flash-cards, a simple
remount (umount, power-off camera, exchange flach-card, power-on camera,
mount) would not work. it seems that mount can not handle a changing
volume number. so i have to rmmod and insmod the usb-storage module
while the camera is unmounted.

this work-around is somewhat complicated. i'd like to rather use
automount as i do for my other drives with changing volumes (cdrom,
cdwriter, dvd).

any ideas???

Kai

digital camera/usb-storage module problem

Post by Budweis » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:01:02

Hello,

>I can connect it the usual way via scsi stuff and the usb-storage
>module, i.e.
[snip]
>However, if I want to download pics from several flash-cards, a simple
>remount (umount, power-off camera, exchange flach-card, power-on camera,
>mount) would not work. it seems that mount can not handle a changing
>volume number. so i have to rmmod and insmod the usb-storage module
>while the camera is unmounted.

- What kernel version are you using?

- May I see the kernel messages (/var/log/messages)
  for a "mount-case" and "umount-case" ?

- (and may be not very important an output of
   'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' when the device is attached)

We'll see if we can help you with these information..

--
Budweiser       Budhome Network

Post by Martin Grube » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:57:42

> hi there,
> However, if I want to download pics from several flash-cards, a simple
> remount (umount, power-off camera, exchange flach-card, power-on camera,
> mount) would not work. it seems that mount can not handle a changing
> volume number. so i have to rmmod and insmod the usb-storage module
> while the camera is unmounted.

> any ideas???

On my SuSE8.0 System I had to add the "usb-storage" module to the
file /etc/sysconfig/hotplug and now it works great.

    # These modules should be unloaded on an USB "remove" event
    # It is useful for some device to reinitialize the hardware
    HOTPLUG_USB_MODULES_TO_UNLOAD="scanner usb-storage"

Martin

1. Sony dsc-707 digital camera and usb-storage not working

I have a RH 7.2 system with updated RH kernel 2.4.9-21 and usb support.
The Sony camera connects via USB, and works with win98 (after special
drivers installed). My usb works under Linux, since I have a "Digital
Wallet", a portable 20 Gig hard-drive that permits downloading of files
from digital camera media ( memory sticks, etc.), that connects via USB.
Provided usb-uhci, usbcore and usb-storage modules are loaded, the
Digital Wallet is seen as a mass storage device and can be mounted as
/dev/sdb1. (I have an adaptec 2930 card with a zip drive that is seen as
sda).

I have seen a note in a Sony camera forum that someone found that their
dsc-707 camera was recognized as a mass storage usb device. I have asked
for more information, but so far have not had a reply.  I would
appreciate any suggestions about how I can get this device to work under
Linux.

(FYI: I also am running vmware. Win98 under vmware DOES recognize the
camera properly as a usb device, provided the win98 special drivers
(from Sony) are installed in the Win98. It seems specifically to be the
usb-storage driver that is not "seeing" the camera.)

Rick

2. VC chars go undesirably graphic..

3. USB mass storage digital camera

4. ā€¯Looking for dealers.

5. howto get to my digital camera as USB mass storage device?

6. impact of netmask

7. USB digital camera: can't mount mass storage device

8. looking for usb scanner driver

9. mount a digital camera as a usb storage device

10. usb-storage and finepix camera

11. 2.6.8 and usb-storage with Ricoh camera on sarge

12. RadioShack Flatfoto or Ultra-Pocket Digital Camera or Creative CardCam or Logitech Pocket Digital Camera

13. Sony DCR-PC110E USB & Linux usb-storage modules help?