USB printer in Linux

Post by ChipMonk » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 07:08:08

I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to install
in Fedora 4.  I also have an old laser printer attached to lpt0.  Linux is
not able to find the USB printer.  Do I have to set up USB support first
or is this already built in?  Can some help me with some pointers?

USB printer in Linux

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 07:39:37

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:08:08 -0400, ChipMonke staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to
> install in Fedora 4.  Linux is not able to find the [the HP PSC 1510].
> Do I have to set up USB support first or is this already built in?

FC4 is recent enough that it should automagically load [ou]hci-hcd and
ehci-hcd (if you have a USB2 chipset).  USB printer support is provided
by the usblp module.  Then, you have to use the hpijs or hplip printing
backend via CUPS or lpr-ng.  If you have installed CUPS and cupsd has
been started, fire up a web browser and go to http://localhost:631 , and
set the printer up there.

There's a general printer database/guide at
http://www.freestandards.org/printing/public/ , and the specific printer
model you have is at
http://www.freestandards.org/printing/public/
show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_1510  (all on one line).  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

USB printer in Linux

Post by chuckca » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:33:10

Quote:

> I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to
> install in Fedora 4.  I also have an old laser printer attached to
> lpt0.  Linux is not able to find the USB printer.  Do I have to set up
> USB support first or is this already built in?  Can some help me with
> some pointers?

Is that the first generation (say 2000ish) all-in-one printer's that HP
sold for name brand PC's? if so ouch! it's a monster.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

USB printer in Linux

Post by david walcrof » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:37:40

>> I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to
>> install in Fedora 4.  I also have an old laser printer attached to
>> lpt0.  Linux is not able to find the USB printer.  Do I have to set up
>> USB support first or is this already built in?  Can some help me with
>> some pointers?

> Is that the first generation (say 2000ish) all-in-one printer's that HP
> sold for name brand PC's? if so ouch! it's a monster.

I have used a HP PSC2110 in FC3> 4> 5> works well in Gimp and in desktop
printing and with very few problems.

david

USB printer in Linux

Post by Remc » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:23:35

> I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to install
> in Fedora 4.  I also have an old laser printer attached to lpt0.  Linux is
> not able to find the USB printer.  Do I have to set up USB support first
> or is this already built in?  Can some help me with some pointers?

When you do 'ls -l' for your printer device nodes it should give you a clue
what kind of printer you're dealing with.
e.g.: parallel port:
crw-rw----  1 root lp 6, 0 2006-06-24 17:14 lpt0
the '6, 0' show the kernel's internal device numbering (major/minor number),
it should be different for an USB printer. (I haven't got an example right
now)

If possible you could try to unload the USB printer (usblp) and parallel
port (lp) modules and only load the USB printer module. Check if the
major/minor number changed. It may now be your USB printer.

The following is something I posted to the USB devel list. Unfortunately I
did not get any reaction. I don't know if it applies to Fedora 4 or your
situation:

Both the lp and the usblp driver create devices named lp[n], though
the kernel messages suggest an usblp[n] device for the USB printer.

When both a parallel port printer and an USB printer are attached they will
both be called lp0 leaving the system with only one device node. (So one of
the printers will be missing)

So far the best way to make a distinction seemed to be filtering on
subsystem in udev, e.g.:

# printers
KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="printer", ?NAME="printer/lpt%n"
KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ? ? ?NAME="printer/usb%n"

This way parallel port printers will be called 'printer/lpt[n]' and USB
printers 'printer/usb[n]'.

If my understanding of the matter is correct, parallel and USB printers use
different device registration.

In my opinion they should either use the same device registration, so when a
printer (either parallel port or USB port) is detected it becomes lp0 and
when later on another printer (no matter what kind of port it's attached
too) is detected it becomes lp1.

Or they should have different names so they can be distinguished easily. It
doesn't seem handy to have an identical name for devices with different
major number and the same minor number.

In the usblp driver it seems that usblp_class uses the "lp%d" name even
though throughout the usblp driver USB printers get referenced as
"usblp%d".

I'm not sure if there's a good reason for that or whether it should be
fixed.

(I'm looking at linux kernel 2.6.16.16)

USB printer in Linux

Post by chuckca » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 04:31:45

>>> I have a HP PSC 1510 all-in-one USB printer that I am trying to
>>> install in Fedora 4.  I also have an old laser printer attached to
>>> lpt0.  Linux is not able to find the USB printer.  Do I have to set
>>> up USB support first or is this already built in?  Can some help me
>>> with some pointers?

>> Is that the first generation (say 2000ish) all-in-one printer's that
>> HP sold for name brand PC's? if so ouch! it's a monster.

> I have used a HP PSC2110 in FC3> 4> 5> works well in Gimp and in
> desktop printing and with very few problems.

> david

What year is that model? The 2000 HP (consumer model not the expensive
lines) had severe driver problems when it came on the marked.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

USB printer in Linux

Post by david walcrof » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:04

>>> Is that the first generation (say 2000ish) all-in-one printer's that
>>> HP sold for name brand PC's? if so ouch! it's a monster.

>> I have used a HP PSC2110 in FC3> 4> 5> works well in Gimp and in
>> desktop printing and with very few problems.

>> david

> What year is that model? The 2000 HP (consumer model not the expensive
> lines) had severe driver problems when it came on the marked.

About 2yrs old.

david

USB printer in Linux

Post by chuckca » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:37:26

>>> I have used a HP PSC2110 in FC3> 4> 5> works well in Gimp and in
>>> desktop printing and with very few problems.

>>> david

>> What year is that model? The 2000 HP (consumer model not the
>> expensive lines) had severe driver problems when it came on the
>> marked.

> About 2yrs old.

> david

Not the same then. Besides you have a different model number than the
OP. The question was (and is) if the OP's was one of the first
generation.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )