IBM PS/2 486SLC2 and Linux

Post by Kevin Webb » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I was wondering if standard Linux will work on an IBM PS/2 486SLC2.  I
read that Linux does not support microchannel.  If this is the case could
someone me tell where I could find a version that does.

Thanks,

Kevin Webber

IBM PS/2 486SLC2 and Linux

Post by James F. Morr » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I was wondering if standard Linux will work on an IBM PS/2 486SLC2.  I
>read that Linux does not support microchannel.  If this is the case could
>someone me tell where I could find a version that does.

Linux works fine on a Microchannel machine.  The issue for me seems to be
with device driver support.  Unless you are using a SCSI adapter with
a close ISA cousin (I am using an Adaptec AHA-1640, which looks like the
ISA based Adaptec 1542), then Linux probably won't have a driver for you.

There are ESDI drivers, for some of the older PS/2 ESDI disks, but I have
only gotten them to work on kernels up to about 1.1.65.  As far as network
support:  I am using an BM Ethernet/A, which is essentially an SMC Ultra
Microchannel card.  A couple of minor patches to the smc-ultra kernel
driver were required.

I have a working 1.1.65 Linux kernel, with PS/2 ESDI, Adaptec AHA1640
and IBM Ethernet/A support.  I also have a working 1.2.9 kernel, with the
AHA1640 and IBM Ethernet/A support.

LEt me know if either one of these kernels can help you.

--
/--------------------------------------------------\

|              |  CompuServe:  73670,762           |
\--------------------------------------------------/

1. Installing Linux on an IMB PS/2 56 486SLC2

This box has a SCSII disc, and I've been trying, reading, trying
again. Now I need help, how do I get this disc to work. I'm using
redhat 4.2, and I need to do a network installation (meaning, using
FTP) so sugesting a change to a slackware release isn't going to help
me much.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated...

to group.

2. md5

3. Linux on an IBM 486slc2-66

4. ld: fatal: library -lxxx: not found

5. RH 5.1 on PS/2 53 486SLC2?

6. Konsole crash at libc-start.c:129

7. IBM 486SLC2-66 Motherboards supported?

8. IP-blocking

9. IBM 486SLC2 Motherboards

10. I need info on IBM PS/1: Who at IBM has technical information?

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Linux and IBM PS/1???

13. Linux on IBM PS/1