problem with Aha152x & HP SureStore DAT8

problem with Aha152x & HP SureStore DAT8

Post by shahada abubaka » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a tape drive on my Slackware Linux 3.5 system. I've
tested the SCSI card (an adaptec 1520B) with a few SCSI disks, and the
disks work fine through the card. I am now trying to set up a CD-ROM and
an HP SureStore DAT8i tape drive (with IDE drives), but am having
problems with the tape drive.

The SCSI card and Tape Drive are detected, as follows:

aha152x: processing commandline: ok
aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7,
reconnect=disabled, parity=disabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: HP        Model: C1533A            Rev: A708
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CDU 561  SUNMSCD  Rev: 1.9k
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape 1 SCSI cdrom total.

Backing up to the tape appears to work okay, i.e:

$ echo This is the first file > file1
$ echo This is the second file > file2
$ echo This is the third file > file3
$ echo This is the fourth file > file4
$ tar cvf /dev/rmt0 .
./
file1
file2
file3
file4

But when I do a restore:

$ tar xvf /dev/rmt0
./
file1
file2
tar: Skipping to next file header
file4

And so I end up losing a file. The more files I try to backup, the more
instances of the "skipping to next file header" error I get. The
error(s) always appears on the same file(s).

Nowhere else can I find any report on why the error occurs, as the
syslog, messages and debug file do not have anything. The mt command
doesn't report much either:

$  mt -f /dev/rmt0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

The jumper settings on the tape drive are the default for a PC, i.e.
On-On-Off-On-On-On-On-On. The internal SCSI cable, which was known to
work on another system, is terminated properly.

Does anybody know why I can't read reliably from my tape? I've tried
another card, another PC, another tape drive, but still the same problem
happens.

Regards,

.sha