Sound configuration in Linux Mandrake

Post by Mart » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:44:42

Hi.

Please forgive what could be an obvious FAQ but hopefully someone can
quickly answer my question for me.

I am an utter newbie with Linux having installed Madrake 9.0 just the
other day, I have as yet been unable to get any sound. Tonight I ran
'sndconfig' as root and after the probe was greeted witht the message
:

"The Rockwell Semiconductor Systems | Master Riptide PCI Audio
Controller is not supported"

Is there anything I can do about this without buying a new sound card?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Post by Clive Dov » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:35:08

> Hi.

> Please forgive what could be an obvious FAQ but hopefully someone can
> quickly answer my question for me.

> I am an utter newbie with Linux having installed Madrake 9.0 just the
> other day, I have as yet been unable to get any sound. Tonight I ran
> 'sndconfig' as root and after the probe was greeted witht the message
> :

> "The Rockwell Semiconductor Systems | Master Riptide PCI Audio
> Controller is not supported"

> Is there anything I can do about this without buying a new sound card?

> Any help will be much appreciated.

> Thanks

> Martin

I am assuming that you have a Conexant (Rockwell) combined audio/modem
card or audio card

Never tried these drivers as I don't have these cards, but you might try
the Conexant drivers page here:

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/riptide/index.html

Note that there are drivers for the modem and the audio. If you have a
softmodem and audio combination you will need both.

When you select "download" on each, you will be presented with a licence
agreement.  Once you have agreed, you will be given a choice of
packages.
As you are running Mandrake 9.0, download the rpm package for Mandrake
then choose the package for your kernel version number

Get your version number by running this command from a user prompt:
uname -r

Once you have downloaded the package, open an icon view of your download
directory and click on the icon representing the pacakge.

If your exact version number is not shown, you will have to download the
source code tarball and compile it. Get back to this group for help in
that event.

Post by Mart » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 05:08:25

> I am assuming that you have a Conexant (Rockwell) combined audio/modem
> card or audio card

Yes. I believe I do.

Quote:> Never tried these drivers as I don't have these cards, but you might try
> the Conexant drivers page here:

> http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/riptide/index.html

Well I found the RPM package for my specific kernel and downloaded it,
and after a bit of fiddling around I used the Mandrake RPM
installation utility and installed the package.

However nothing appears to have changed. sndconfig still reports that
the card is not supported.

Was I supposed to do something else once I installed the package. I am
really not sure what the installation has added to the system, as the
install utility did not report on installation paths.

Can you provide any further help? I am prepared to go and buy another
sound card so advice on one that IS compatible would be good.

Thanks

Post by Clive Dov » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:41:39

>> I am assuming that you have a Conexant (Rockwell) combined
>> audio/modem card or audio card

> Yes. I believe I do.

>> Never tried these drivers as I don't have these cards, but you might
>> try the Conexant drivers page here:

>> http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/riptide/index.html

> Well I found the RPM package for my specific kernel and downloaded it,
> and after a bit of fiddling around I used the Mandrake RPM
> installation utility and installed the package.

> However nothing appears to have changed. sndconfig still reports that
> the card is not supported.

> Was I supposed to do something else once I installed the package. I am
> really not sure what the installation has added to the system, as the
> install utility did not report on installation paths.

> Can you provide any further help? I am prepared to go and buy another
> sound card so advice on one that IS compatible would be good.

> Thanks

did the package which you downloaded match your kernel version?

Take a look at the install instructions link on the site from which you
downloaded the package:
Following itm try running, from a root prompt:

ripconfig

I looked through the tarball package and it is not clear to me just what
module name is made, but update your slocate database, by running, from
a root prompt, this command

slocate -u

Then see if you have a module called riptide (just a guess on my part)

slocate riptide

Also, look into file /etc/modules.conf to see if there is a sound alias,
which might look something like this

alias sound-slot-0 riptide

Another sound card, such as soundblaster live, might be a better
solution, depending on what you can afford because you can then get one
that has either an oss module or an alsa module or both that are
supplied as standard items with current linux distributions.

Of course, your card is also a "winmodem" so your may need a new modem
as well unless you are using cable or dsl to connect to the internet.

Post by Mart » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:39:31

> Take a look at the install instructions link on the site from which you
> downloaded the package:
> Following itm try running, from a root prompt:

> ripconfig

Ran this and everything works fine now. Especially after I realised
that my speakers were still plugged into my Windows System!!

Quote:

> Another sound card, such as soundblaster live, might be a better
> solution, depending on what you can afford because you can then get one
> that has either an oss module or an alsa module or both that are
> supplied as standard items with current linux distributions.

I have put in a bid on EBay for a Soundblaster Live card but now I
have thing working I hope I lose the auction :)

Quote:

> Of course, your card is also a "winmodem" so your may need a new modem
> as well unless you are using cable or dsl to connect to the internet.

Well that's the next thing to tackle. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB
ADSL modem and I have as yet been unable to configure it to work under
mandrake. I am living with it at the moment as I have access through
my Windows machine and I have a keyboard and monitor switch which
means I can easily flick between to two systems.

I'll keep plugging away.

That's very much for your help. I least I don't now have to suffer in
silence!

Martin

Post by Clive Dov » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:57:54

>> Take a look at the install instructions link on the site from which
>> you downloaded the package:
>> Following itm try running, from a root prompt:

>> ripconfig

> Ran this and everything works fine now. Especially after I realised
> that my speakers were still plugged into my Windows System!!

>> Another sound card, such as soundblaster live, might be a better
>> solution, depending on what you can afford because you can then get
>> one that has either an oss module or an alsa module or both that are
>> supplied as standard items with current linux distributions.

> I have put in a bid on EBay for a Soundblaster Live card but now I
> have thing working I hope I lose the auction :)

>> Of course, your card is also a "winmodem" so your may need a new
>> modem as well unless you are using cable or dsl to connect to the
>> internet.

> Well that's the next thing to tackle. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB
> ADSL modem and I have as yet been unable to configure it to work under
> mandrake. I am living with it at the moment as I have access through
> my Windows machine and I have a keyboard and monitor switch which
> means I can easily flick between to two systems.

> I'll keep plugging away.

> That's very much for your help. I least I don't now have to suffer in
> silence!

> Martin

Go to your Mandrake Control Center and open the software management tool
and to the install software utility.

Enter "speedtouch: (without the quotation marks, of course) in the
"Find" text entry indow.

The package is speedtouch-1.2-1mdk

package contains all the necessary software to use your SpeedTouch USB
modem under Linux. It currently support only PPPoA encapsulation.

1. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

I just installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I
cannoot get any sound out of my Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound Card. I
thought this (older) soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I get
nothing. And I am a Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check and
fix the problem. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not even
sure where to look for the sound driver settings.

2. developing X apps on Linux for other machines?

3. Sound Configuration Problem Mandrake 9

4. Low floating point performance

5. Mandrake 9.0 ISA Sound Card Configuration Issue

6. How to use one machine as an Internet gateway?

7. Sound : no sound with Ensoniq pc1371 and Mandrake 6.1

8. smbmount problem

9. Re : Sound : no sound with Ensoniq pc1371 and Mandrake 6.1

10. Sound Blaster PCI128 Sound Card with Mandrake 6.0

11. WinGate/Linux Mandrake Net Configuration

12. Configuration of Lasat 560 V Int modem for Linux Mandrake 7.1

13. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?