Dell Inspiron 7500 notebook and RedHat

Post by Maxim Bazheno » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Did anybody try to install Linux (e.g., RedHat-6.x) at Dell Inspiron
7500 notebook?
Are there any problems with HD, Sound, CD/DVD, Video, etc support? I am
espesially
interested to find out if the ATI Mobility-P 3D Video with 2XAGP adapter
presented in
this notebook is supported by XFree-86. Thanks a lot.
maxim

Post by Barry Flanaga » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Did anybody try to install Linux (e.g., RedHat-6.x) at Dell Inspiron
> 7500 notebook?
> Are there any problems with HD, Sound, CD/DVD, Video, etc support? I am
> espesially
> interested to find out if the ATI Mobility-P 3D Video with 2XAGP adapter
> presented in
> this notebook is supported by XFree-86. Thanks a lot.
> maxim

No sound of proper X support at the moment unfortunately. You have to
use the Frame Buffer X server which, while it works, is slow and a max
resolution of 1280x1024 is all I have managed so far. Do a search on
7500 or mobility in this and the X newsgroup to see all the posts on the
subject.

Also check out http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ which is a
great resource.

-Barry Flanagan
 Creative & Technical Director
 Online.ie, Dublin, Ireland

 Tel: +353 (0)1 855-4321
 Fax: +353 (0)1 817-0643

1. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

I'm new to Linux and would appreciate some help.

I have a Dell 7500 and have just loaded Redhat v7.0 from the boxed-set.
Can someone give me specific instructions as to how I can get the
onboard ATI Rage Mobility AGP-2X card to work at the default resolution
of 1400x1050 (16-bit or 24-bit color would be desirable?).  I'm able to
drive it to 1152x and 1280x with 16-bit color, however, I cannot get
options to appear in Xconfigurator for the 1400x1050 modes...

Thanks,

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-

2. which stl is best?

3. RedHat 6.1 installation on Dell Inspiron 7500 VT

4. Q: Elite 9 ST410800N format.dat

5. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

6. Windows 2000 workstation and Samba

7. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

8. slice two under solris2.6

9. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

10. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

11. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

12. XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

13. LCD Display on Dell Inspiron 7500