HOW TO program the serial port on linux

Post by raquel » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I am working in Linux for first time and I need routines
about serial port, I need comunication between two PC's, but
I don't undertand How to begin the comunication, in other
words, I need to stablish the protocolo for comunication,
acces to buffer and send and receive information, I preten
to creat files whit de infoirmation contains in the buffer.

I need routines about manage of serial port, How to create
this routines and How to work.

Tank you.

Raqueld

Post by Mark Bratche » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am working in Linux for first time and I need routines
> about serial port, I need comunication between two PC's, but
> I don't undertand How to begin the comunication, in other
> words, I need to stablish the protocolo for comunication,
> acces to buffer and send and receive information, I preten
> to creat files whit de infoirmation contains in the buffer.

> I need routines about manage of serial port, How to create
> this routines and How to work.

You could try reading the Serial-Programming-HOWTO document to
get you started.

--
Mark Bratcher

Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

: I am working in Linux for first time and I need routines
: about serial port, I need comunication between two PC's, but
: I don't undertand How to begin the comunication, in other
: words, I need to stablish the protocolo for comunication,
: acces to buffer and send and receive information, I preten
: to creat files whit de infoirmation contains in the buffer.

: I need routines about manage of serial port, How to create
: this routines and How to work.

See the Serial-Programming-HOWTO.

And no, you don't need any of what you say you need.

Peter

1. Parallel Port programming question, was "Serial Port Programming"

All right, it was a unanaimous response to use the parallel port instead of
the serial port to twiddle pins on a IO port.  Anyone have a quick snipit
of code or direction to go.  I have the IOport programming howto which shows
how to set up port to be talked to, but does not explain how to exactly
talk to the port itself.  Any help would be appreciated.
| Andrew F. Nelson      Computer Science                                |

| Title:                WWW Administrator / Systems Staff               |
|                       Computer Science and Institute of Technology    |
| "Murphy's Law isn't just a saying, it is a way of life!"              |

2. Some dumb questions, but I still need answers

3. How to set up serial port when programming serial communication

4. MULTIA 166 and MANDRAKE

5. NIC card SMC vs. DEC

6. Linux serial port programming

7. RangeLan2 support?

8. Serial port programming for linux

9. Example Programs using the Parallel/Serial Port (Linux)

10. Linux Serial Port Programming problem - ioctl -

11. Programming the serial port under Linux