Problems with Goldstar 540 CDROM

Post by Ken Hal » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have the Goldstar 540 CDROM that came with my Soundblaster kit on my
Compaq Pentium system.  Originally LINUX couldn't see it at all when
connected to the SB16, but I corrected that by moving it to the second
IDE on the motherboard.

Now, however, I get error messages when I access the CD.  The operative
phrase is "buffer botch", and I get partial directory listings.  If I
repeat the ls command several times, I finally get the entire listing,
but the error returns when I change to another directory.

Needless to say this has made installing LINUX from the CD impossible.  I
finally completed the install by copying the install directories to an
MSDOS partition and installing from there.

I'm running Slackware 2.3.0, which came with 1.2.8 of the kernel.  I've
since used another machine to generate a 1.2.13 kernel, but it's having
the same problem.

I've also tried mounting the CD with 'BLOCK=2048', as documented in
several news items, but this still hasn't completely eliminated the
problem.

Any ideas?  I'd rather not go to all the trouble of upgrading to the 1.3
kernel if I don't have to...

Post by Patryk Kaminsk » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I have the Goldstar 540 CDROM that came with my Soundblaster kit on my
> Compaq Pentium system.  Originally LINUX couldn't see it at all when
> connected to the SB16, but I corrected that by moving it to the second
> IDE on the motherboard.

> Now, however, I get error messages when I access the CD.  The operative
> phrase is "buffer botch", and I get partial directory listings.  If I
> repeat the ls command several times, I finally get the entire listing,
> but the error returns when I change to another directory.

> Needless to say this has made installing LINUX from the CD impossible.  I
> finally completed the install by copying the install directories to an
> MSDOS partition and installing from there.

> I'm running Slackware 2.3.0, which came with 1.2.8 of the kernel.  I've
> since used another machine to generate a 1.2.13 kernel, but it's having
> the same problem.

> I've also tried mounting the CD with 'BLOCK=2048', as documented in
> several news items, but this still hasn't completely eliminated the
> problem.

> Any ideas?  I'd rather not go to all the trouble of upgrading to the 1.3
> kernel if I don't have to...

I had the same problem, the only way to solve it (that I know of) is to
upgrade your kernel to 1.3.xx.  If you find any other way, let me know.

| Patryk Kaminski            | Until the lions have their historians, |
| Honourous Computer Science | tales of the hunt shall always glorify |
| University of Waterloo     | the hunter.                            |

Post by Darrel Hankers » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

   I have the Goldstar 540 CDROM that came with my Soundblaster kit on my
   [...]
   Now, however, I get error messages when I access the CD.  The operative
   phrase is "buffer botch", and I get partial directory listings.
   [...]
   I'm running Slackware 2.3.0, which came with 1.2.8 of the kernel.  I've
   since used another machine to generate a 1.2.13 kernel, but it's having

Known problem.  Known to be fixed in 1.3 kernels.

   I've also tried mounting the CD with 'BLOCK=2048', as documented in
   several news items, but this still hasn't completely eliminated the
   problem.

It did not work for me either (it may have lessened the number of msgs).

   Any ideas?  I'd rather not go to all the trouble of upgrading to the 1.3
   kernel if I don't have to...

I have been told that the 1.3 ide stuff can be dropped in 1.2 kernels.
I switched to 1.3.12, and all my problems with the 540 disappeared.

However, I cannot properly play quicktime movies in MS-Win, even
though I have considerably more hardware than the required minimum. It
is as if my cd/sound subsystem far too slow.  As an example, I would
like to play the "Wonder" video on Natalie Merchant's single.  I can
play McLachlan's "Freedom Sessions".

--

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. TeX vs. DocBook

3. Linux FT & Goldstar 540 CDROM

4. Synchronized access to shared memory

5. GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems

6. How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8

7. Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom

8. pppd 2.3.10 - connecting to isp using modem

9. Linux-FT rev1.1 and Goldstar 540 ide install

10. PnP Linux Yggdrasil & Goldstar 540 CD?

11. Goldstar 540 CD won't work with SlakWare!!!!

12. Help: Adaptec 2942, 540 HD and Sound Blaster Pro CDRom