56K usr sportster modem

Post by Lo » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have recently purchased a US Robotics 56K modem, I have
 successfully configured it as a PPP server.  I have used
 getty_ps.2.0.7j and I have configured my gettydef file
 using a fixed speed of 115200 (28.8k), it works great! However, when
 I used a higher speed of 220400 (57.6k), I can not get a handshake
 going.

 Does anybody know what extra step I have to do so that I can fire up
 USR sportster at higher speed.
--
 Thank you for your help in advance.
Zhi Wei Lu                            |     Phone:  916-752-7345

56K usr sportster modem

Post by Allan R. Mcmilli » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>   However, when
>  I used a higher speed of 220400 (57.6k), I can not get a handshake
>  going.

>  Does anybody know what extra step I have to do so that I can fire up
>  USR sportster at higher speed.

If I remember corectly 56K modems can only recive calls at 33.6K because
of the trick used to get 56K.  Although I don't own one personally.  The
manual that came with the modem should mention this.

Allan McMillin

56K usr sportster modem

Post by Gary Allpik » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >   However, when
> >  I used a higher speed of 220400 (57.6k), I can not get a handshake
> >  going.

> >  Does anybody know what extra step I have to do so that I can fire up
> >  USR sportster at higher speed.

> If I remember corectly 56K modems can only recive calls at 33.6K because
> of the trick used to get 56K.  Although I don't own one personally.  The
> manual that came with the modem should mention this.

> Allan McMillin

56k modems will ony work at 56k if dialling to a digital terminal
server.  56k relies on having a digital path all the way from your
exchange to your ISP.  If you have two 56k modems dialling each other,
you will only get 33.6k. That is all they will do without a digital
line.

regards

Gary Allpike
Q-Net Australia

1. COM Port setting:USR 56k Sportster Modem Initialization

Hello,

I hope someone can help, as I'm running out of resources
to help myself.....

My Problem:
    I cannot get my external modem to work under linux.
    wvdial reports that it can locate my modem, but cannot
    initialize it.

My spec:
    External USR Sportster 56K v90 Modem (x2 compatible)
    Pentium P75 48 Mb Ram

How it is connected:
    It is connected to COM 1, I think, the label on the back of
    my machine to which it is connected to says something like
'010101-1'
    there is also another serial port labeled '010101-2'.

I've tried:
    setting jumper switches 3,7,8 down.

    3 -- Display result codes
    7 -- Load factory defaults
    8 -- Smart mode

    I also tried the following Initialisation string: AT&F&H1&R2

    (the above was advice from the 3com website on how to set up the
    modem for unix-like machines).

    When I do wvdial - it can locate the modem but cannot initialise it.

----

Another note, when I phoned the 3com helpline, they advised that
the modem will work on linux but I need to set the following:

    Databits : 8
    Parity : None
    Stopbits : 1
    Flow Control : Hardware

I've read all the info I have on these, but do not know how to
set them (I did a grep on my HOWTO directory for the docs).

Any advice will be gratefully received, I'm getting in a desparate
situation now .....

Yunus.

To reply by email - remove lovelyspam with yunus.

2. Logitech serial mouse & X

3. USR 56K Sportster PnP Modem and Redhat 5.2 fustration

4. Session tracking

5. USR Sportster 56K external modem

6. #9 GXE 64 PCI and XFree86 help!

7. USR/3com 56k Sportster modem