Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Varian » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:33:20

Hi all,

I recently installed a Radeon 7000 (Diamond Stealth S60) to replace my
onboard video, a SiS 630S. The Radeon is installed into the AGP.

On boot, bios reports that my video is SIS630S (though I am currently
using the Radeon). Also, agpgart reports:

agpgart: Detected SiS 630 chipset

I am unable to disable onboard video on my bios (simply no option or
jumper that I am aware of). How can I allow agpgart to detect my Radeon
and not the SiS (which is not being used at all).

Though I am using the Radeon and everything appears to be working fine
(both 2D and 3D) I would still like to eliminate the onboard SiS630S and
point agpgart to the Radeon.

*Linux 2.4.18
*Slackware 8.1
*XFree 4.2.0
*Motherboard is PS66M if anyone is familiar

*lspci output:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630 Host (rev 31)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 AGP
00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
00:0b.0 Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2838/2839 SuperLink Modem (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE QY

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

--
/*--------------------------*/
/* VaRIANT==---==--==--==-- */

Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Varian » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:40:30

Quote:> *Motherboard is PS66M if anyone is familiar

Make that ECS-P6SSM ... oops ;)

--
/*--------------------------*/
/* VaRIANT==---==--==--==-- */

Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Sande » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:12:33

> Hi all,

> I recently installed a Radeon 7000 (Diamond Stealth S60) to replace my
> onboard video, a SiS 630S. The Radeon is installed into the AGP.

> On boot, bios reports that my video is SIS630S (though I am currently
> using the Radeon). Also, agpgart reports:

> agpgart: Detected SiS 630 chipset

I think agpgart is just reporting the host chipset (which is still a
SiS 630) and not the video-chipset. Also, the SiS video part is not
reported by lspci, so no problem there :)

Sander.

Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:48:32

> I recently installed a Radeon 7000 (Diamond Stealth S60) to replace my
> onboard video, a SiS 630S. The Radeon is installed into the AGP.

> On boot, bios reports that my video is SIS630S (though I am currently
> using the Radeon). Also, agpgart reports:

> agpgart: Detected SiS 630 chipset

> I am unable to disable onboard video on my bios (simply no option or
> jumper that I am aware of). How can I allow agpgart to detect my
> Radeon and not the SiS (which is not being used at all).

The SiS chip is still your motherboard northbridge and AGPGART is part
of the northbridge, not the video card. There's no AGPGART on the
Radeon.

--
        Markku Kolkka

Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Varian » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:57:14

> The SiS chip is still your motherboard northbridge and AGPGART is part
> of the northbridge, not the video card. There's no AGPGART on the
> Radeon.

Interesting - thanks for clarifying that.

--
/*--------------------------*/
/* VaRIANT==---==--==--==-- */

Onboard Video & AGP Video

Post by Varian » Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:04:16

> I think agpgart is just reporting the host chipset (which is still a
> SiS 630) and not the video-chipset. Also, the SiS video part is not
> reported by lspci, so no problem there :)

> Sander.

Glad to hear :).

Now that I take a second look at lspci, I also notice the SiS 630 on host...
I never thought that agpgart would pick that up. Everything works great,
thanks for the input to as why this is happening.

--
/*--------------------------*/
/* VaRIANT==---==--==--==-- */

1. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

Hi. I have been using my new video card (Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD
(MyVIVO Edition; GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 128 MB) in Windows XP
Professional SP1 to understand how its Video In and TV Out works. So
far, they work and I am enjoying these "addicting" features. I also
set them up in Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.19) as well
(same system -- I dual boot).

After reading the Linux driver README file from NVIDIA, I noticed the
TV output cannot be turned on and off easily like Windows' option. Did
I understand that I have to restart X server to enable/disable this
feature? Isn't there a program to control without restarting X server?
I don't use the TV output all the time to watch videos and rebooting X
server will be a hassle. I also want to keep the TV showing videos
(e.g., MPEG) while my monitor is using desktop. Basically, it is like
Matrox's dualhead setup.

NVIDIA documentation said nothing about video in. I have the video
card hooked up to a VCR (hooked up to a small TV) so I can
capture/record stuff on my computer. I also have the VCR's stereo RCA
cable to my SB Live's Line In so I can use my decent speaker setup
(Klipsch Promedia). I researched and found rivatv. I installed and it
worked (have to run modprobe rivatv after loading X server or else I
will run into problems with xawtv).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
   "I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless
 and sterile battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming--

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

2. img src rewriting with apache

3. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

4. Script w/ backquotes not working.

5. want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

6. MOTD turn off?

7. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

8. Migration Strategy - E250 Solaris 2.6 -> V210 Solaris 9

9. Using Linux with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI

10. SiS620 onboard AGP video and Linux

11. Linux Compatability with Dual Pentium IIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI

12. Linux Compatability with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large HD, Large Memory and On-Board SCSI.

13. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X