ESS Allegro : ES1988 soundcard

Post by Hilkiah Lavinie » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:56:27

Hi, does anyone know if Linux supports the above sound card?  I'm using
RH7.  /usr/sbin/sndconfig says it doesn't, but do any modules work with
the above card??  Or are there any work arounds?

regards, HL

Post by Kai Schnabe » Fri, 11 May 2001 04:18:21

> Hi, does anyone know if Linux supports the above sound card?  I'm using
> RH7.  /usr/sbin/sndconfig says it doesn't, but do any modules work with
> the above card??  Or are there any work arounds?

> regards, HL

See: http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/swgkern_alsaupdate-0-5-10.html
german, but should be no problem...

Kai

ESS Allegro : ES1988 soundcard

Post by Aggelo » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:58:12

I have the Allegro-1 Audodrive (ES 1988) in a laptop (HP Omnibook
XE3) and it has been correctly installed during my linux mandrake 8
installation.
Let me know how I could help....

It has also the Allegro-1.COMM PCI Voice+Fax Modem (ES 1989 or 1988 ?), I
would be happy if I could find linux drivers for this one.

> > Hi, does anyone know if Linux supports the above sound card?  I'm using
> > RH7.  /usr/sbin/sndconfig says it doesn't, but do any modules work with
> > the above card??  Or are there any work arounds?

> > regards, HL

> See: http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/swgkern_alsaupdate-0-5-10.html
> german, but should be no problem...

> Kai

1. ESS ES1988 Allegro-1 recording problems

Hello,

I've got a HP Omnibook XE3 with Gentoo Linux running on it. After nearly
3 years being satified with this piece of hardware and Linux I've got
some minor problems (ok, for me that are major one right now as they
keep me from playing around with some IP telephony tools :)) with the
soundchip.
According to lspci this is a
 ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12) chip. That one is handled by
the maestro3 driver in the kernel or the snd-maestro3 driver in ALSA
0.9.8. Playback is fine but recording really sucks.
When I use the kernel driver I can get no recording at all. Just
silence. When using the ALSA driver I can unmute and turn the Mic up in
alsamixer. I can also activate the +20dB Mic boost there. When I record
sound, there is a lot of noise in the recording and my voice is
somewhere far away nearly not understandable, even though I have all
levels turned up to their maximum. No difference whether I use the
internal microphone of the Omnibook or an external plugged into the
backside of the computer. I've searched the web and newsgroups for quite
some time no without any luck. Does anybody have such a soundchip and
has had the same problems? Perhaps someone with a solution?

Markus, quite a bit annoyed

--
"Windows" is not the answer. "Windows" is the question and the answer
 is "no". - StickyBit auf heise.de

2. what are the diffes (4.3.x & 4.2.X)

3. ESS ES1988 Allegro sound card on 4.7-RELEASE

4. HELP with .g.Z compressed archive and ghostscript!

5. Does Linux support the ESS Allegro-1 or Maestro 3 soundcard?

6. kernel panic: no init found with 2.5.32

7. ESS ES1988 on RH7.1 - no sound

8. How much memory does a process use?

9. ESS Allegro PCI (sound problem)

10. 2.5.73 problem with ALSA (ESS Allegro)

11. ESS Allegro and Linux

12. sound: ESS Allegro

13. ESS Allegro PCI Audio Card Compatibility