AHA1542B will not recognize Viper Tape

Post by Phil Ke » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 23:49:01

I just swapped out my adaptec 1522 for a 1542B. Linux needed some lilo
header tweaking bu I finally got things working, except, my archive
viper tape drive.

The autoedetect code fails to recognize the tape drive. EZ-SCSI does
just fine under MessyDOS so I know the hardware works.

Is there some funky bus on/off times for the 1542 that need to be set?
Maybe the default DMA bus speed will not work? Has anyone seen this
before? It seems to happen with kernels gong back as far as 1.09....

Thanks for any input
PK

Post by Luis Tor » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:53:25

: The autoedetect code fails to recognize the tape drive. EZ-SCSI does
: just fine under MessyDOS so I know the hardware works.

 Did your kernel have SCSI tape suport compiled in? I had a
Viper tape connected to my Bustlogic 542B (Adaptec clone)
and linux had no problem recongnizing it (it was a long time
ago, so it's not a kernel-version problem, I think).

--
---

Centro de Informatica da Universidade do Porto
R. Campo Alegre 823                      Tel.:351-2-6001672
4150 PORTO / PORTUGAL                    Fax.:351-2-6003654

Post by Steven Hovat » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 18:18:20

>: The autoedetect code fails to recognize the tape drive. EZ-SCSI does
>: just fine under MessyDOS so I know the hardware works.
> Did your kernel have SCSI tape suport compiled in? I had a
>Viper tape connected to my Bustlogic 542B (Adaptec clone)
>and linux had no problem recongnizing it (it was a long time
>ago, so it's not a kernel-version problem, I think).

And then sometimes, there must be a tape in the machine before it
will be seen.

Steve

--
Steven V. Hovater                      (703)761-4431
Software Engineer                      Rational Software Corporation

Post by Software Develope » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 11:13:51

>I just swapped out my adaptec 1522 for a 1542B. Linux needed some lilo
>header tweaking bu I finally got things working, except, my archive
>viper tape drive.

>The autoedetect code fails to recognize the tape drive. EZ-SCSI does
>just fine under MessyDOS so I know the hardware works.

>Is there some funky bus on/off times for the 1542 that need to be set?
>Maybe the default DMA bus speed will not work? Has anyone seen this
>before? It seems to happen with kernels gong back as far as 1.09....

>Thanks for any input
>PK

I have a Adaptec 1540B (basically the same as the 1542B except no floppy
control) in both my Linux boxes.  I also have an Archive Viper 2060S tape
drive, which I've been using since 0.99PL14...  Works fine for me.  The
autodetect code seems to find it just fine.  I've used it under the last
several versions of Slackware (currently on 2.1).

"I speak only for myself,          Lee Heins