Linux won't recognize my first hard drive as DOS

Linux won't recognize my first hard drive as DOS

Post by Greg » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Linux won't recognize my first hard drive as DOS.  It says it's unknown.
 The drive is an 850M seagate.  Fdisk works fine on it from DOS but not
from linux.  I have been trying to get linux goin on my second drive.  My
first drive does use a dynamic link overlay on bootup.  I'm thinking that
this may be causing the problem.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Greg Adams

Linux won't recognize my first hard drive as DOS

Post by Joe Smi » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux won't recognize my first hard drive as DOS.  It says it's
> unknown.  The drive is an 850M seagate.  Fdisk works fine on it from
> DOS but not from linux.

I just had the same problem with a Seagate ST3660A (545MB).  I found
that I had to zero the data on the first few cylinders of the disk
before DOS and Linux would agree to use the same partition table.

I suspect that the drive comes from the factory with some kind of
offset (+64 sectors?) translation, although I don't know how this
would work - maybe in the drive firmware?  You might try something
less drastic than what I did; here's two other tips I've seen but
didn't try: run FDISK/MBR twice; run the Disk Manager software with
the option to uninstall (something like '/Y-').

Good luck.

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith

 Department of Physiology                          (215) 898-0485 - work
 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6085                       (609) 854-6428 - home