RAIDZONE

Post by John Burto » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
  I just ran across and adverti*t & website for a product called
RAIDZONE, which claims to provide RAID capability (hot swap and all)
using Ultra ATA hard disks. Has anybody used this and if so, what were
your impresssions. How well is it supported under linux?

John

RAIDZONE

Post by Tony » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

I wouldn't like to hot swap an IDE drive

I run compaq raid boxes and the specs are very tight on hot swap gear.

Things like

Will pluging the drive in cause too much of a power drain to the rest of the
drives in the box??

and to the power supply. Also scsi drives don't fire up straight away when
you plug them in

start delay, and other such niceties

IDE doesn't have that.

Might work for a while.....but I wouldn't use it for production machines
without a really good test

Just my thoughts

Tony

>Hi!
>  I just ran across and adverti*t & website for a product called
>RAIDZONE, which claims to provide RAID capability (hot swap and all)
>using Ultra ATA hard disks. Has anybody used this and if so, what were
>your impresssions. How well is it supported under linux?

>John

1. snapshot filesystem, like wafl or raidzone?

Are there any (reasonably stable) filesystems for linux
that support the snapshot ability, like the WAFL filesystem
on netapp systems?  It seems to me like such a stunningly
useful feature.

However I've been digging through google and not not found
much on the web or in the newsgroup archives.

So far I've found this:

1- www.raidzone.com offers the ability to snapshot
   filesystems on their linux-based nfs appliances.
   But I don't see them offereing their FS to anyone.

2- I found some old Usenet references to someone starting
   a 'snapfs' project, but no details.  A google search
   put me at <http://www.mountainviewdata.com/us/index.html>
   but they appear oriented toward hardware vendors, and their
   product appears to be quite new.

3- LVM talks about snapshots, but it doesn't seem to be in the same
   league as what I'm looking for.  For one thing they say it does
   reduce performance and you should not keep the snapshot around too
   long.  That's fine for taking backups, but one of the points of
   the WAFL snapshot idea is that you keep them around for a LONG time,
   to serve as on-line backups.

And that's about all I've found.

2. I don't like knode

3. Need help on Raidzone NAS box (linux-based) as NFS server to Solaris

4. Turtle Beach Montego II A3D Support

5. new raidzone product experience?

6. LETS MAKE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Consensys RAIDZONE SmartCan RAID Array

8. This Week's Useless Use of Cat Award goes to ... (was printing man pages)

9. Consensys RAIDZONE SmartCan Disk Array