Does Inode with bad node inevitably mean a bad hard drive?

Does Inode with bad node inevitably mean a bad hard drive?

Post by Phil Glas » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 04:02:29

Hi,

I was simultaneously doing a bunch of stuff (word-processing in
StarOffice, burning a CDRW while the image was still mounted to
/mnt/cdrom) when things just kind of stopped working and froze up.
When I went to reboot, a file check was forced and I was brought to
the following message:

Inode 149285 (/usr/share/config/klpqrc) has a bad mode (075472).

The message says to run fsck w/out any options. When I give root
password, I'm popped into bash but everything is read only. I'm
putzing around with fsck but not really sure what to do with it.

Other postings lead me to believe that the drive is hosed, but I want
to confirm before I break the news to the Mrs.

I hadn't really gotten that far with this system so there wasn't much
data to speak of other than the precious modules.conf (configuring
network card and CDRW was time-consuming), and I was able to copy that
to floppy.

ANy advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Regards,