playing audio cd's with NEC CDR-210

Post by Mike Bo » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 00:33:27

>: Hello:

>: I have been having a big challenge trying to play audio cd's with my NEC
>: CDR-210 scsi cd rom drive. I heard somewhere that it has a different
>: kind of scsi interface that has a parity bit unused or omitted or
>: something like that.

>: I would appreciate if anyone using one of these baby's could e-mail me
>: with their solution. What program did you get to run it?

I have this drive, and I use xmcd with no problems. It has an X and
command line interface and allows for CD databases. It's available on
sunsite (I don't remember exactly where, but it's somewhere under the
X11 directory). I had to choose option 11 (or maybe 12) for the drive
choice when running the supplied install script. Sorry I don't have
more info with me right now, but please e-mail me if you have any
problems finding it or configuring it. Hope this helps.

Post by Christopher G. Hya » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 10:54:38

>: Hello:

>: I have been having a big challenge trying to play audio cd's with my NEC
>: CDR-210 scsi cd rom drive. I heard somewhere that it has a different
>: kind of scsi interface that has a parity bit unused or omitted or
>: something like that.

>: I would appreciate if anyone using one of these baby's could e-mail me
>: with their solution. What program did you get to run it?

I also have the same drive (as I posted a couple of days ago).  I found two
new X-based cdplayers that work with this drive just today.

The first is xcdplayer.  I found it at

  ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/BETA/cdrom/

There is a file there called xcdplayer-NEC.tar.Z that has a binary compiled
for the NEC.  However, whoever put this package together did so with
little documentation, without the source code, and with the location of the
cdrom device compiled in.  So, I also got the file xcdplayer-src.tar.Z.

To compile it, I copied the files nec_ioctl.c & nec_xcdplayer.diff from the
xcdplayer-NEC package to the source directory.  Then I applied the patch
(type "patch < nec_xcdplayer.diff").  Next, I ran Imake (type "xmkmf"),
which built the Makefile.  However, the Imakefile patch is not totally
complete, so I then needed to change all references to ioctl.c to
nec_ioctl.c in the Makefile.  At this point "make ; make install" worked
just fine.  The program works well, but is pretty plain.

Then, after all this trouble, I found that the old cdplayer program has
been updated and now includes a Tk/Tcl X-based front end that is *very*
nice.  This one, which I found at

  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/cds/CDplayer-2.0.tar.gz

compiles out of the box, no fuss.  It has a very nice configure script that
asks all the right questions, and runs automatically when you first run
"make".  It does, however, require that you have sed, lex & yacc (or flex &
bison), Tk/Tcl & wish.  If you don't have Tk/Tcl, you can still run it from
the command line as before.  However, if you do have all of these required
programs, this one beats xcdplayer hands-down.  It gives a much nicer
widget interface, and allows you to enter song and album titles,
maintaining a database for you.  When you insert a new disk, it scans for
matches in your database, and automatically load the information if you've
entered it for this disk.  I reccomend it highly.

Hope this helps.
--
Chris Hyams

http://cs.rice.edu/~cgh/

1. HELP: NEC CDR-210 won't play audio CDs

Hey all,

I have a typical 486-33 with a NEC CDR-210 SCSI CD-ROM hooked up to a PAS-16.
I've configured the kernel to have the SCSI on IRQ 10 and the sound card
on IRQ 7, which works fine.

If I mount a standard data CD, it mounts perfectly and all, but for some
reason I can't get WorkBone or WorkMan to play audio CDs.

I've set the file permissions to read-write on /dev/sd0 as the FAQ says, but
that doesn't help.  Listing the kernel message queue says:

CDROM: IOCTL() ILLEGAL COMMAND

after I run either WorkBone or WorkMan.

Does anyone have any ideas?

--
 Xx  Mike Fischer                  University of California, San Diego

XX   "Smiths Still Live!"                   "Singers do it...in tune!"

2. I am an admitted unix idiot-please help!

3. NEC SCSI CD-ROM drive CDR-210 rev. 1.0 is not recognized

4. DOSEMU dies with 0.99.8

5. NEC CDR-210 recognized but not usable -- Help!

6. PCI IRQ conflicts preventing X from starting

7. Adaptec 1522 & NEC CDR-210 working under Linux?

8. install mod_auth_mysql in apache

9. Adaptec 1505 SCSI adapter and NEC CDR-210

10. NEC CDR-210 SCSI CDrom problem

11. NEC CDR-210 with Adaptec 1520

12. Adaptec 1505 SCSI adapter and NEC CDR-210

13. SCSI NEC CDR-210 problems