Iomega Zip Drive!

Post by Jalal J Jemis » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

This is probably the single biggest reason.. why I have not put Linux on
my new system.  I love Linux, but I don't have a Iomega Zip Driver for it.
If anyone knows about One.. or a version of Plug/Play Linux that supports
one Please drop me a line.  I can't live without my Zip...
Thanks

Iomega Zip Drive!

Post by David J. L » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

# This is probably the single biggest reason.. why I have not put Linux on
# my new system.  I love Linux, but I don't have a Iomega Zip Driver for it.
# If anyone knows about One.. or a version of Plug/Play Linux that supports
# one Please drop me a line.  I can't live without my Zip...
# Thanks

If your Zip drive is SCSI, just turn on and configure the SCSI support in
the kernel, otherwise there is an alpha module for the parallel port version.

Iomega Zip Drive!

Post by Dale Marti » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> If your Zip drive is SCSI, just turn on and configure the SCSI support in
> the kernel, otherwise there is an alpha module for the parallel port version.

Actually, the parallel port version has support in all kernels >2.0.

serial port :-)  There is an alpha version of a different driver for
EPP(?) (bidirectional) parallel ports that does wild stuff like
scatter and gather to get much better performance.  Haven't used it
yet, but it sounds like it works reasonably well.

Information on the alternative driver (and other issues) can be found
at:
http://www.torque.net/zip.html

Later!
        Dale

| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |

Iomega Zip Drive!

Post by tom rin » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> This is probably the single biggest reason.. why I have not put Linux on
> my new system.  I love Linux, but I don't have a Iomega Zip Driver for it.
> If anyone knows about One.. or a version of Plug/Play Linux that supports
> one Please drop me a line.  I can't live without my Zip...
> Thanks

Whoa boy, are you in for a surprise!

Linux support the Zip drive as a ppa (par. port) or normal SCSI drive.
And it works so well that a Mac disk in the Linux par port drive works
perfectly when running the Macintosh emulator (Executor).  You can also
read and write DOS fat and vfat disks as well as ext2 format.  The only
thing is that the default driver is slow - about 1.5 Mbytes per minute.
There is some work being done on a new driver which appears to be about
50% faster than the par port drive is rated for!!  I have it but it is
not built for 2.0+ linux.  I plan to look at it when I have a free
minute.

All my experience occured under Linux 2.0.0 or later.  Your mileage may
vary in earlier versions.

tom

Iomega Zip Drive!

Post by Keith Schinc » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: # This is probably the single biggest reason.. why I have not put Linux on
: # my new system.  I love Linux, but I don't have a Iomega Zip Driver for it.
: # If anyone knows about One.. or a version of Plug/Play Linux that supports
: # one Please drop me a line.  I can't live without my Zip...
: # Thanks

: If your Zip drive is SCSI, just turn on and configure the SCSI support in
: the kernel, otherwise there is an alpha module for the parallel port version.

The 2.0.XX kernels support the parallel port version.

--
Keith Schincke             "All all of life is lived in pain,
Jacksonville, Fl               sometimes it is a shame."

A cat a day will keep the Salmon away!

---
The previous signature was generated using a shell script and fortune.

Iomega Zip Drive!

: >
:
: Whoa boy, are you in for a surprise!
:
: Linux support the Zip drive as a ppa (par. port) or normal SCSI drive.
: And it works so well that a Mac disk in the Linux par port drive works
: perfectly when running the Macintosh emulator (Executor).  You can also
: read and write DOS fat and vfat disks as well as ext2 format.  The only
: thing is that the default driver is slow - about 1.5 Mbytes per minute.
: There is some work being done on a new driver which appears to be about
: 50% faster than the par port drive is rated for!!  I have it but it is
: not built for 2.0+ linux.  I plan to look at it when I have a free
: minute.

     Isn't that the damndest thing?  A <1 month old module written for
1.2.13 8-).  Well, I got the ppa driver from about 2 weeks ago to compile
with 2.0.21 with quite a bit of changing.  What I did is get the fast PPA
driver for 1.2.13, and umm.. this other one that is there that doesn't have
the speed enhancements, but has a few ifdefs for 2.0.xx kernels...
it has like
#ifdef 2.0.xx
2.0.xx code
else
1.2.13 code
#endif
and I found that 1.2.13 code in the fast PPA driver and replaced it with
the 2.0.xx code from that slower ifdef'd version.  The replaced code is not
any of the code actually involved in transfers 8-).

Post by bill davids » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

|      Isn't that the damndest thing?  A <1 month old module written for
| 1.2.13 8-).  Well, I got the ppa driver from about 2 weeks ago to compile
| with 2.0.21 with quite a bit of changing.  What I did is get the fast PPA
| driver for 1.2.13, and umm.. this other one that is there that doesn't have
| the speed enhancements, but has a few ifdefs for 2.0.xx kernels...

You might well want to join the parallel port mailing list... there
are better drivers out there, you don't have to hack them yourself,
and they pretty much drop in.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

1. [Help} I can't drive my Iomega Zip Drive!

Please help me!
I can not do it when I want to drive my Iomega Zip drive!
I have such a error message code when the OS is booting...
ppa0 at 0x378-0x37b on isa
ppa0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(ppa0:6:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk0(ppa0:6:0): Unknown
(ppa0:6:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk1(ppa0:6:1): Unknown
(ppa0:6:2): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk2(ppa0:6:2): Unknown
(ppa0:6:3): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk3(ppa0:6:3): Unknown
(ppa0:6:4): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk4(ppa0:6:4): Unknown
(ppa0:6:5): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk5(ppa0:6:5): Unknown
(ppa0:6:6): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk6(ppa0:6:6): Unknown
(ppa0:6:7): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0

Like this...
Could you tell me what can I do about this?
BTW, how to mount the Zip drive's disk if I have already
drive the zip drive?

Thanks for your answering!
Thanks in advance!
                                        SYLan in Providence
                                                    University
                                                    R.O.C

2. Memory for PCi II card?

3. IOMEGA Zip-drive

4. /dev/cdrom

5. Uzing Iomega Zip drive IDE in Linux

6. Sidewinder Game Pad and Linux

7. Linux and iomega ZiP-Drive?

8. 64M of Memory, is it a problem?

9. Thankyou - Re: Linux with Iomega ZIP Drive(s)

10. Iomega ZIP drives ??

11. Iomega ZIP drive support ?

12. Iomega Zip Drive support?

13. Iomega Zip drive & RH6.1 nightmare