Hot swapping on a SCSI bus?

Post by yub.. » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is there any work done on online device swapping on an SCSI bus?  i.e.,
if one could provide a safe way to physically remove and re-insert a
device into a SCSI bus, does logic exist (or can it be built) in Linux to
recognize the device (perhaps, rescan the bus for active IDs)?
Obviously, this might cause problems for things such as the devive with
the root partition on it, but points like that aside, is this possible?

Hot swapping on a SCSI bus?

Post by Itai Nahsho » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Is there any work done on online device swapping on an SCSI bus?  i
> Obviously, this might cause problems for things such as the devive with
> the root partition on it, but points like that aside, is this possible?

I do not believe anyone will want to swap the root device...
Re-scanning the scsi bus should not be too much of a problem. The
problem is in that Linux assigns device names (actually minor numbers)
in the order that it finds the devices.
Now, if you have a detachable device in scsi2, the names assigned
to the device on scsi3 and up may depend on if the scsi2 device is
on or not during the scan.

Itai