kernel panic w/1.3.6..Barfing on HD's

Post by Jonathan McKinn » Mon, 03 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I dont know if this has already been talked about, but here goes..

I went from 1.2.8 to 1.3.6 and upon restart after the tape allocated
buffers I got something like this:(didn't log it for some reason)

hda: USING ALT???? INSTEAD OF ????

It repeated this message a bit and then

did it for hdb

It didn't display the usual ide0 irq14 line thing

Things continued till near the end and the kenal paniced for disk reasons.

My setup is this:

P90 EISA Intel
DC5030 by promise pci caching controller
2 WD30001 the 1 gig things
ATI GPT 2mb

That's the important stuff.  I have NEVER had anything like this type of
problem.  In fact never any problems that were not caused by me.

Hope someone has a solution or guide.

Thanks

--
Later,

1. help:kernel panic on boot, 'can't load dynamic linker '

I am installing slackware 3.0, kernel 1.2.13 from an ATAPI CD-ROM.
My system is a Zeos 90Mhz Pentium with 16 MB Ram and two hard drives.
I am installing LINUX on the 850 MB hard drive.  After booting
with the idecd boot disk, I simply hit enter when the boot: prompt
appears.  When the system prompts for a root disk, I insert the
root disk and hit <enter>.  However the message "corrupted input"
appears and the system hangs with the message indicating a kernel
panic.  I was able to partially correct the problem by entering
"mount root=/dev/fd0" at the boot: prompt.  The system then appears to
work fine.  I am able to install all the files, create swap space, etc.
However, when I am prompted to make a LILO disk, the system hangs and
scrolls the message "ls:  can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so' and
hangs.  I am unable to come up with a solution and would appreciate
any help from anyone who is familiar with this problem.

--
David J. Blackstone
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.   USA

2. More that 256 colors with S3 Trio64v+

3. Bad blocks on HD and Linux barfs

4. tcpdump for 1.2.13 (without ELF)

5. Kernel Panic: Can't mount root - after building new kernel

6. Solaris 9 (Intel Platform Edition) Hardware Compatiblity List

7. mkfs (in version 0.96c) barfs on my 486-33 340MB HD system

8. Mouse Failure

9. Slack-96/DPT PW2044 HD Format Kernel Panic...Help!!

10. More info: mkfs -c /dev/hda3 results in Kernel panic during install to HD

11. OpenServer5 kernel panics when adding new HD

12. want to format hd, kernel panic 8:05 at boot

13. Possible HD Failure? kernel panic 03:05