AMD K6-2Chips compile compile problems...

AMD K6-2Chips compile compile problems...

Post by Bill Dosset » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've searched this newgroup for any info on
K6-2 processors and no one mentioned any
problems, only good stuff.

I'm getting broken pipe errors when I compile unless
I disable the external and internal cache.  I've
had to do this with a cyrix chips in the past as
well.  I'm using Red Hat 5.1 and I haven't built
my own kernel yet as it seems to be running fine
and I didn't see the point.. could that be my problem?
What processor should I claim if I do build my
own kernel with this processor?

Thanks

Bil

AMD K6-2Chips compile compile problems...

Post by Bill Dosset » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hmm, I have PC100 memory in a PC100 mother
board and I haven't overclocked the chip, I'm
running it at 300MHz with bus speed of 100 MHz
which the mother board clearly supports.  We're running
NT on a few of the same motherboard/memory combo
from the same shipment with no problems.  I'll try other
memory and some more different settings.

Thanks

Bill

> your motherboards timing is wrong (too aggressive) or your have borderline bad
> ram.

> : Hi,

> : I've searched this newgroup for any info on
> : K6-2 processors and no one mentioned any
> : problems, only good stuff.

> : I'm getting broken pipe errors when I compile unless
> : I disable the external and internal cache.  I've
> : had to do this with a cyrix chips in the past as
> : well.  I'm using Red Hat 5.1 and I haven't built
> : my own kernel yet as it seems to be running fine
> : and I didn't see the point.. could that be my problem?
> : What processor should I claim if I do build my
> : own kernel with this processor?

> : Thanks

> : Bil

> --
> AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zero' chars to letter 'o' chars.
> bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net/

1. Compile Problems with AMD K6-2/550 3D system

I've seen it do this sort of thing with overclocked systems also. Most
things would run ok, but doing something like a kernel compile it would
crash, making it a little farther each time. might check the MB jumpers,
make sure they are set for correct combination of cpu/memory.
--

Bob Martin

2. An awk question or two...

3. Any advantages running AMD K6 vs. AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!

4. Can anyone

5. Compiling for AMD K6-2 3DNow!

6. When will Berkeley DB 2.7.7 be included in glibc ?

7. How Compile Kernel for AMD K6-2 ?

8. Setting up a Linux Interent Server

9. Kernel compiling for AMD K6

10. AMD K6-2 or K6-3

11. AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III

12. AMD K6/K6-2, 3DNOW!, and MMX - where to start?

13. AMD k6-2 or k6-III