Boot messages with VIA chipset

Post by Alessio Checcucc » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Please could you help me to understand the messages i get at Linux boot.

I am using Slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.2.6 .
I have 2 completely different machines:

the first one has a Tyan Trinity AT 100 motherboard (chipset VIA Apollo
MVP3) and AMD K6-2 350Mhz processor.

the second (older) has a FIC PA-2002 motherboard (chipset VIA Apollo
Master) and IDT C6 200Mhz processor.

At boot, when entering the IDE controller recongnizing and
inizialization phase, i get the following messages (with both the
machines):

VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

but when (after the boot phase) i log into the system and make a cat
/proc/pci

I see something like (on the first machine):

Bus 0, device 7, function 1
IDE interface: VIA tecnologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev. 6)
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe001]

and something similar on the second computer, so i suppose the
controller has been properly
recongnized and it's working well.

Is anyone able to explain me this kind of behave and if affects the
Intel and Ali chipsets too?

Thanks a lot

--