Buyer's warning: Buslogic doesn't work with HP Colorado T400s tape drive

Buyer's warning: Buslogic doesn't work with HP Colorado T400s tape drive

Post by Doug Merri » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

A small warning to anyone considering getting a scsi tape drive: the
HP "Colorado Memory Systems" T4000s looks pretty good; 4Gb uncompressed
("8Gb compressed"), and not *too* expensive, however it apparently does not
work with the popular-with-Linux Mylex Buslogic 958 ultrawide scsi controller.

At least, the two won't work together under Windows, according to my
vendor, who talked to both companies, each of which (naturally) blamed
the other.

OTOH when the vendor swapped the Buslogic out and tried an Adaptec 9040
(I'm not sure if I got that model # right), the Adaptec worked just
fine with that tape drive. The implication is that the bug *is* on
Buslogic's side, although that's not completely proven.

I suppose it's possible that these two items would work together under Linux,
even when they don't under Windoze with the manufacturer's drivers, but
that seems fairly unlikely.

The Adaptec itself is risky under Linux these days, since Adaptec blacklisted
Linux developers, so respecting the unofficial Adaptec boycott is more than
reasonable. As someone said recently, it worked with Diamond (like others,
I helped on that by buying ATI and telling Diamond why), so maybe it's time
to really get rolling with Adaptec the same way.

Therefore, caveat emptor. (And I'm now looking for a scsi tape drive that
*will* work with the Buslogic...maybe I'll fall back on IDE. Alas.)
        Doug
--

Professional Wild-eyed Visionary        Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow
                Fight Spam! Join CAUCE (free) at www.cauce.org
Unicode Novis Cypherpunks Gutenberg Wavelets Conlang Logli Alife Anthro
Computational linguistics Fundamental physics Cogsci Egyptology GA TLAs

Buyer's warning: Buslogic doesn't work with HP Colorado T400s tape drive

Post by Steven W. Pontsle » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I suppose it's possible that these two items would work together under
Linux,
> even when they don't under Windoze with the manufacturer's drivers, but
> that seems fairly unlikely.

Not really...I have a Asus sc200 with a sony-4000 (I think that is right)
2gig uncompressed, 4 compressed.  Won't work Win95....even to the point of
hard locking the system (have to press the reset button the case)...no
problems at all under Linux.

I would be infavor of the boycott.

1. HELP - Can't get Colorado Jumbo 350 tape drive to work

I have installed a Colorado Jumbo 350 (QIC-80) tape drive in my
P120 running FreeBSD 2.1.  I have followed the instructions for
installing the drive between the on-board floppy controller and
the 3.5" floppy drive.

I uncommented the 'ft0' line in kernel configuration file and
rebuilt the kernel.

When I reboot, the probe sees the floppy controller and floppy drive
but not the tape drive.  I've tried various cabling configurations
but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone run into this problem before?  Am I overlooking something?

I'm desperate to get this fixed.  I've done a lot of work getting
this box configured and running and I need to do a backup.

Thanks!

Jim Manley

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called 3Random Signatures2 into your Preferences folder.

2. Cabletron E22xx Cards

3. HP Colorado 2.5/5 GB Tape Drive Stopped working

4. Mirroring root disk without Disksuite or Veritas?

5. does the HP Colorado Tape Travan T8000 drive work with linux?

6. Mandrake6.1 anonymous FTP server and packet forwarding

7. SED: parsing a 'flexible' text file ... in over my head!

8. Workaround to get HP Colorado IDE tape drives to work under RH7.1 (2.4 kernels).

9. HP Colorado IDE Tape drive not working

10. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

11. 3rd party 8mm tape drive doesn't work with 3.2.3

12. Tape drive doesn't work all of a sudden