USB modems: which ones work under linux?

USB modems: which ones work under linux?

Post by Stephen Jarrett-Spragu » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:15:51

I have a computer which doesn't have a serial port or room for a serial card
to be installed. Serious mistake in hindsight.

I have a PCtel winmodem that did work under Corel second addition, but this
appears to be a dead end distro.

I do have a USB port though.

I have looked up kernel 2.4 readme's to find that USB modems that conform to
Abstract Control Model are now supported in the kernel. And I found that
ELSA microlink 56k works on suse's websight.

Problem - this modem has been withdrawn and replaced by a fun USB modem (How
modems are found escapes me). Now back to square one.

Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Post by chris doles » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:47:13

> I have a computer which doesn't have a serial port or room for a serial
> card to be installed. Serious mistake in hindsight.

> I have a PCtel winmodem that did work under Corel second addition, but
> this appears to be a dead end distro.

> I do have a USB port though.

> I have looked up kernel 2.4 readme's to find that USB modems that conform
> to Abstract Control Model are now supported in the kernel. And I found
> that ELSA microlink 56k works on suse's websight.

> Problem - this modem has been withdrawn and replaced by a fun USB modem
> (How modems are found escapes me). Now back to square one.

> Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

winmodems are now supported , IBM  released an opensource driver for linux

USB modems: which ones work under linux?

Post by Chuck Bridgela » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:22:23

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:15:51 -0000, Stephen Jarrett-Sprague

>I have a computer which doesn't have a serial port or room for a serial card
>to be installed. Serious mistake in hindsight.

As an aside, that wouldn't be one of those "book PC" things, would it?

--
             Gun owner, Christian, Libertarian, Linux user.
If you got a problem with that, then it's time for some "diversity training".