Ftape & Irwin Card Question

Post by mike » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 02:55:35

Does anyone know if I can use ftape with an Irwin controller card? The
tape drive plugs into a floppy controller and the floppy plugs into the
Irwin. I believe a QIC operates the same way. Has anyone had any luck
with this?

Mike Hutera

Ftape & Irwin Card Question

Post by Matt Port » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 03:54:30

: Does anyone know if I can use ftape with an Irwin controller card? The
: tape drive plugs into a floppy controller and the floppy plugs into the
: Irwin. I believe a QIC operates the same way. Has anyone had any luck
: with this?

This is a common FAQ, it is stated in the ftape-howto that Irwin hardware
will not work with ftape.  The reason being that the Irwin tape drives (as
well as the IBM ITBU, which is an Irwin made drive) use the proprietary
Servoe (or Rhomat) format.

--
Matt Porter KB8UVI              "[The United States] can't be so fixed on
Scottsdale, Arizona USA         our desire to preserve the rights of

Finger for PGP key              -- President William Clinton, March 1, 1993

1. Ftape & Irwin drives

Hi,
I have an Irwin 120e  That basically means it's a 120mb external tape
drive.  It uses DC2120's.  Does Ftape work on Irwin floppy tape drives.
I've read all the docs, created all the devices, and I can't get a peep
out of it.  Can't even get it to turn the light on.  I know that Irwin
uses proprietary interface, Irwin has been purchased by Conner, and
discontinued so if Ftape won't work and Linux is destined never to support
them, I understand.  If someone does know of a way to use this Irwin tape
drive on Linux, I'll kiss your butt and let you date my sister!!
thanks,

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

3. Irwin A120/ftape problem

4. LDAP problem in SuSE 7.1 ftp

5. ftape and Irwin tape drives

6. i think i've been hacked

7. IDE CD-Rom, Irwin 120mg tape, and sound card problems

8. Question: what do you use to track failures in your software?

9. Two questions, ftape & RAID1

10. Ftape Question - format&mt

11. ftape module && recent kernels

12. Kernel 1.1.66 & Ftape & Floppy