Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

Post by Dennis Peer » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:41:44

Dear,

I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
answer to it.
I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.

This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
Community so I hope you people can help me out.

The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
install my systems.

Can someone please tell me how I can :
    Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
RH 8
    Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
so I can use the SATA HD.

Regards,

Dennis

Post by nolo » Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:42:15

> Dear,

> I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
> answer to it.
> I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
> harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.

> This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
> Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
> They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
> Community so I hope you people can help me out.

> The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
> only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
> Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
> install my systems.

> Can someone please tell me how I can :
>     Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
> RH 8
>     Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
> so I can use the SATA HD.

> Regards,

> Dennis

Make a boot floopy with the kernel that has the SATA support you require,
boot with that floppy and install redhat and then the kernel with sata
support