Linux and External Print Servers

Linux and External Print Servers

Post by R.H. » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Does anyone know where I can get some information on if linux supports an
external print server. I suppect that it should be able to as it is
connected to the lan via a RJ-45 connector.  Also, if linux does support
one, will any print server work and if so, is there a web site where I can
acquire such information.  I am very new to print servers and I do not know
that much about them as yet.

    Roger

 
 
 

Linux and External Print Servers

Post by Ed Wilt » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> Does anyone know where I can get some information on if linux supports an
> external print server. I suppect that it should be able to as it is
> connected to the lan via a RJ-45 connector.  Also, if linux does support
> one, will any print server work and if so, is there a web site where I can
> acquire such information.  I am very new to print servers and I do not know
> that much about them as yet.

Yes, indeed external servers are supported.  You've even got several
choices.  

I'm using a Netgear PS104 which is a combination 4-port Ethernet hub and
single-port print server.  I'm using it with an Epson Color Stylus 400.
Basically Linux sees this as an LPD server.  I bought this little box
for under $100 at http://www.buycomp.com.  I've got my 3 PCs all
connected to the hub, and all can print to the printer. One's running
W98, one W95, and one is running RedHat Linux (currently the rawhide
release).

With Samba, you can drive SMB-based printers as well.  I don't have any
experience with these.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA


 
 
 

Linux and External Print Servers

Post by mike » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00




> > Does anyone know where I can get some information on if linux supports an
> > external print server. I suppect that it should be able to as it is
> > connected to the lan via a RJ-45 connector.  Also, if linux does support
> > one, will any print server work and if so, is there a web site where I can
> > acquire such information.  I am very new to print servers and I do not know
> > that much about them as yet.

> Yes, indeed external servers are supported.  You've even got several
> choices.

> I'm using a Netgear PS104 which is a combination 4-port Ethernet hub and
> single-port print server.  I'm using it with an Epson Color Stylus 400.
> Basically Linux sees this as an LPD server.  I bought this little box
> for under $100 at http://www.buycomp.com.  I've got my 3 PCs all
> connected to the hub, and all can print to the printer. One's running
> W98, one W95, and one is running RedHat Linux (currently the rawhide
> release).

> With Samba, you can drive SMB-based printers as well.  I don't have any
> experience with these.

> --
> Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA


Thanks to this newsgroup I have been able to route printing from Linux to
my HP JetDirect EX Plus3 external print server.  However, the EX Plus3 has 3
parallel ports and I have a printer attached to each.  Can someone tell me how
to direct printing to a particular port.  Currently defaults to port 1.
Thanks
 
 
 

Linux and External Print Servers

Post by Ed Wilt » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> Thanks to this newsgroup I have been able to route printing from Linux to
> my HP JetDirect EX Plus3 external print server.  However, the EX Plus3 has 3
> parallel ports and I have a printer attached to each.  Can someone tell me how
> to direct printing to a particular port.  Currently defaults to port 1.

I don't have any particular experience with this particular print
server, but if you're talking to it using lpr (i.e. the server is
running an lpd server) then you'll simply need to change the queue
name.  When you configured the printer on Linux, you probably gave it an
lpd queue name such as lp1.  Check /etc/printcap and look for the rp:
entry (rp being remote printer).   Usually the print servers are
logical.  If you're using p1 (which is what my print server happens to
call its only printer port), then change it to p2 and see if you print.
The manual that came with your print server should tell you what the
queues are.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA

 
 
 

Linux and External Print Servers

Post by Grant Taylo » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> Thanks to this newsgroup I have been able to route printing from
> Linux to my HP JetDirect EX Plus3 external print server.  However,
> the EX Plus3 has 3 parallel ports and I have a printer attached to
> each.  Can someone tell me how to direct printing to a particular
> port.  Currently defaults to port 1.

This is covered in the Printing HOWTO.  In short, with lpd there are
three queues: "raw1", "raw2", "raw3".  With the ten-cent TCP port bit,
there are three ports: 9100, 91001, 9102.

--

 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/
 Libretto information:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/
 Linux Printing HOWTO:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

 
 
 

1. Printing to HP JetDirect EX Plus external print server

I'm trying to set up a print queue in SCO Unix System V Rel 3.2 using
an HP external print server.  I successfully configured the pring server,
but the manuals are not all that clear on how to set up the print queue in
SCO, I've tried to follow the directions in the SCO manual for setting up
a network printer, but obviously I'm missing something.

Can anyone elighten me?  Assume we're starting from scratch.

TIA

/rudi

--
Rudi VanCeylon - Network & Systems Engineer
City of Fort Collins
300 LaPorte Ave, PO Box 580
Fort Collins, CO  80522
Phone:  970.221.6634
FAX: 970.221.6329


2. Netscape - plugins????

3. Printing to Multiple printers - HP JetDirect external server and SCO 5.0.2

4. Unix for TI/Acer extensa 660dt

5. mars_nwe & external print server box

6. Traceroute routing back to itself

7. Solaris 2.6 and HP JetDirect External Print Server

8. DNS and IP's ??

9. LPD and HP JetDirect EX Plus3 External Print Server

10. Linux print client with *Linux* print server

11. Does HP Jetdirect external print server work?

12. Configuring an external multi-disk pack external drive on an Enterprise 3000 server

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.